Hairline cracks - external wall

Hi,

being the paranoid type of person I am with warnings of doom and gloom in papers about the hot weather this year bringing on subsidence, I thought I would do a quick check of the exterior of my house.

At the back of the house, above a window, I noticed a hairline crack (and by hairline, I mean that I can't put my finger nail in it) following the mortar line upwards for about 5 bricks up.

On the front of the house, just below the main window, I also noticed the same type of crack, which ends about 2 bricks from the soil.

I've carried out a few searches on the net, and one article, said that it was expected that after 30 years (about the age of our house), to carry out a bit of "Tuckpointing"

So what am I to do ? Panic ?

Is it best to get a builder/inspector round to have a look ?

Should I try to fill hairline cracks myself, and what with ?

Should I just mark the end of each crack and check periodically that the crack has not extended (or will it continue to extend regardless of temperature/ground movement)

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
Mat Dunning

id just re point it to match existing colour and watch for further movement.

rpm

Reply to
R P McMurphy

Brickwork can move naturally either over time, or by season to season, and cracks are generally nothing to worry about unless excessive.

You could monitor the crack to see if it is progressive movement, but unless it gets above 3mm wide and growing, then it can be left. It may well get longer, but that does not necessarily mean there is a problem. The position of the crack is a common one, as the lintols or frame can flex, and the large panels of brickwork either side of openings expand, contract, and move.

Tuck pointing is a type of pointing ( the mortar joints are made to project past the face of the brick) and is uncommon on normal house walls.

By pointing the cracks you will most likely to be left with an obvious and unsightly joint - for no real benefit. If you want to fill such a small crack, then better to use a clear silicone mastic and just use enough to fill the crack - not the whole joint.

dg

Reply to
dg

"dg" wrote in news:DAjeb.1$ snipped-for-privacy@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk: