Hairclippers?

Probably OT but consider it under "Maintenance & care of Tools" category.

Anybody recommend a hairclippers that work and last? I suppose I am looking for the Bosch or Miele in clippers.

We cut our own hair and have bought the best that we can find. Some with ceramic blades, titanium blades, we destroy them all in this house.

They work for a few months and then suddenly retire in mid cut with the note changing and jamming up in the hair. Usually in cutting my youngest's hair. He is rather like trimming a moggie.

Any pointers appreciated.

Reply to
EricP

Are you remembering to clean the blades after EVERY use? And lubricate regularly? Our current clippers are lasting much better than our first set - because now I am much more careful about cleaning and oiling.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Our Wahl has been working for quite a long while now, being used on four of us. I think they have a pretty good reputation. You may know different...!

We got a Wahl because the UK operation is a mile from here...factory shop.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Wahl as the hair dressers use

Reply to
zaax

Wahl used to make a battery soldering iron called the "Isotip". Lotsa years ago I bought one of them for work (for soldering N-type plugs in back gardens...!) - the battery was a bit naff, but after I replaced it, the iron was a reasonable bit of emergency kit. For any bigger job, I'd call out a jointer with a real soldering iron and gas ring :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I got one from Amazon a while ago, and it rattles like a b*tch ! (its one of the Wahl 600 series IIRC) - its that bad, I still dig out the old Remington from time to time for a bit of peace and quiet.

I would have put a couple of foam pads in there to stabilise the guts, but its got security screws holding it together.

Also, for Wahl, note that they have a variety of guard fittings, don't expect to be able to replacements easily unless you order direct.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I have a Remington HC-701 from Argos, cost about £15. Had it for ages & still works a treat. It does say on the label "For Domestic Use Only".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have a set of Wahl that I have had for 15 years. I don't clean these or oil them as much as I should and with 5 boys they have paid for themselves several times over. I suspect that the newer versions are not as robust and are built for domestic use, whereas as mine look like something from the 1950s!

Reply to
deckertim

My clippers have an adjustment screw that you're meant to turn until the clattering noise stops. Some kind of calibration apparently. Might be worth looking to see if yours has something similar.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Telfer

Wahl. Clive

Reply to
Clive

What oil do you use and where do you get it from?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Many thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. It has provided several avenues to follow. :))

Cheers :)

Reply to
EricP

Wahl clippers as they come with 3 year guarentee

SJP

there's only one route to follow: wahl professional with wahl oil (that's wahl oil, not whale oil) I've had mine years. make sure you get the version with the replaceable blades and they'll probably see you out or until your hair is gone, whichever comes first.

Reply to
.

Wahl seem to get the write up in here and replaceable blades sounds right up my street. Thanks. :)

Reply to
EricP

The stuff that comes with the clippers should last quite a while.

After that, Google is your friend. No end of links to places selling oil for clippers and electric razors, even Amazon.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

make sure you get the ones on which blades can be replaced.

Reply to
.

Is that just for the blades ? - mine comes from the guts of it...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Wahl. Argos do some models but you may find a hairdressers' supplies that has a better range and possibly better prices.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Go direct to Wahl. If in East kent, they're in Herne Bay. Personally, I'd walk there, to the factory shop. Otherwise:

Bob Eager