Hacksawing my way to bed

Yesterday morning I noticed the latch on the bedroom door was getting a bit "tired" - the handle was not fully retracting the latch and now and then it would catch on the striker plate a little bit, and need a firmer push to open it. That was until SWMBO tried to go to bed...

"I can't get into the bedroom!"

Sure enough the handle is now having zero effect on the latch. Tried the normal tricks with bits of plastic pop bottle wedged round the edge of the frame. In the end I went to the workshop for a stout scraper and a hammer. Tapped that behind the door stoop and prised it away from the frame a few mm, so I could see right through to the latch. Tried pushing the scraper past it, but it still would not budge.

ok back to the workshop... (daughter and SWMBO were speculating on my return with a chainsaw at this point)

Came back with pad saw, and cut through the latch to get it open! Just glad it was a normal steel latch and not some high security affair.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm scribbled

Good job it didn't happen in the middle of the night when you'd gone for a piss.

Reply to
Jonno

What!? A pad saw...you mean to say...you didn't use...and you a regular contributor to this group. I'm shocked! :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That's what windows are for, isn't it?

Reply to
Adrian

If there's one thing I've noticed about security, it's that it often ends up keeping out the person it's meant to let in.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mmmm tempting, but I was trying to keep the door and frame in one bit...

(Although I could have got a reciprocating saw in there I guess ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

It might have been more fun if they were stuck in the bedroom.

Reply to
dennis

I have found that latches that have become worn and do not retract past the catch plate can sometimes be opened if you can rotate the spindle bar a to uch further and it is the stops within the handle that prevent this. Unscre wing the handle and pulling the bar out of the other handle but leaving it in the latch often does the trick.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Twas the first thing I tried, but it did not appear as if the spindle was moving the latch at all...

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Tricky Dicky writes

I had that problem, and as a short term fix, rotated the handle, the plate of which was oblong, with two screws at the top, and two more at the bottom. I turned the plate so the left hand screw fitted the right hand hole at the top, with the reverse at the bottom. Looked a bit odd on the skew, but worked - for several years :-)

When I eventually investigated further, and extracted the lock from the door, the lock was held together with screws (not rivets) and the business part was brass, very worn at one end. It is double ended, so I flipped it over, reassembled and it works perfectly now. Result!

Reply to
News

Could you not have just knobbed her on the stairs and slept in the spare bedroom:-)?

Reply to
ARW

Have you seen the amount of crap stored in the spare room?

I would need climbing gear to get in there! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Bit of role play Sir Edmund? "Those ropes look like they could come in handy".

Reply to
ARW

What!, no under pissin potten?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Hold on luv, I will get the gimp suit ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm