Hackable Linux NAS box

Hi,

Looking for a small portable 1-2TB backup box, ethernet, internal disk, appliance form factor and most importantly, replaceable linux - I want a proper filesystem (no VFAT) and direct access to rsync and ssh on this.

Wifi would be cool - but optional.

Buffalo would have been my choice 2-3 years ago, but all the wiki's on hacking the LinkStation (Pro) seem seriously out of date.

I don't want a cobbled together solution (too busy) but just a little self contained box...

Any ideas for 2010?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Netgear ReadyNas Duo? Not completely hackable but supports NFS and SSH

Reply to
Peter Watson

Tim Watts gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Synology's kit looks interesting, but no direct experience yet.

Reply to
Adrian

I was about to say, I have been impressed with the synology kit I have used so far, but did not investigate the options for swapping out the software.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, this is uk.d-i-y ... So build your own - which, if you're up to doing an Linux install really shouldn't be hard.

Suggested shopping list:

Case:

(you'll need some RAM for it too)

Lots of choice here - that's a VIA processor, but Intel Atoms are cheaper.

Drives - big choice, but I'd probably look at 2 1.5TB WDC 'green' drives or something similar - although a quick check shows the 2TB ones are cheaper than the 1.5TB ones:

off you go..

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Peter Watson wibbled on Friday 25 June 2010 09:15

That would be workable (but not optimal) - partly because NFS is slower than rsync for loads of little files and I don't expect it can support ACLs over NFS.

But I have a workaround for the latter (cron dumps ACLS to file for all filesystems periodically) so it *is* of interest - I shall look it up.

Many thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Adrian wibbled on Friday 25 June 2010 09:16

- 800MHz processor. Decent - not sure on the hackability...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Gordon Henderson wibbled on Friday 25 June 2010 09:48

The DIY will be the software setup :)

I really want an off the shelf Linkstation type bit of kit (small, and ready to run bar reloading and tweaking the software). ITX is too lumpy and I really don't have the time.

I'll do some more research and see if the Linkstation is still hackable - the problem is the name covers a plethora of actual models so knowing what you're dealing with is tricky.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Having just had a look, there is an rsync service available on the ReadyNas as standard as well...

Cheers,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Watson

Huge

I have a WD Mybook World Edition, a neat little NAS which consumes only 6 watts but with the big plus of having proper ssh access built in so you can get into it, add programs (I've added rdiff-backup) etc.

Much cheaper than Synology plus a big disk, much lower power than a d-i-y Linux box (unless you go very esoteric).

There's quite an active user community and they have developed a proper repository of software and installation/upgrade facilities.

Reply to
tinnews

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wibbled on Friday 25 June 2010 12:17

Thanks! That's spot on the sort of thing I was looking for. 150 quid fro

1.5TB and 180 odd for 2TB.

I see it supports NFS natively. I'm trawling around now for the hacking groups :) Looks very promising.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

The Excito Bubba 2

good.

Sid.

Reply to
Sidney Endon-Lee

Sidney Endon-Lee wibbled on Friday 25 June 2010 22:30

Yes - that is cool, very very cool.

Out of budget though :( SWMBO has granted permission to spend 150 odd after I pointed out we have 60GB of photos and I only have a 20GB quota at a university I used to work at ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wibbled on Friday 25 June 2010 12:17

Could I just check Chris: is this the user community you are talking of:

do you remember which version you have? I'm looking at the WDH1NC15000E

- I'm just cautious about finding that was a big design jump and none of the hacks work anymore!

I'm looking at putting rsnapshot on mine.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'm using a (hand-rolled) rsnapshot-type system but it seems that copy-on-write deduplication filesystems (of which there seem to be one or

2 operating in userspace via fuse, plus sun's zfs if that's still viable for linux) do snapshotting as a byproduct of their modus operandus anyway.
Reply to
John Stumbles

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wibbled on Friday 25 June 2010 12:17

Just got one (2TB MyBook World Edition "Whitelight").

Very impressive. Added the Optware ipkg stuff documented at

a few UID/GIDs around to match my main systems and installed a few bits including rsnapshot.

Long story short, it's sync'd up 645GB of 538,000 files in a couple of days (that's good BTW). Now, an rsnapshot run over the same domain takes about 35 minutes which is bloody good for a device in its class.

A very good machine indeed :)

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers

Tim