H/Water Cylinder leak

Hi. Yesterday, the hot water cylinder decided to start leaking. ^&!!**&%$^$??*!!!! It leaks from the bottom somewhere but its an old 'naked' cylinder so would need replacing at sometime in the near future.

The fact is, I want to replace everything in the bathroom and it now seems a good idea to to replace the cylinder with a Multi-point Water heater and Electric shower of-course.

So I'm thinking...as we are selling the house in the near future, How attractive are multi-point water heating systems to potential buyers? Do MPWHs get good press? Are they the 'Great White Hope' for home-owners?

eg, the scenario...house buyers see our listing and the description reads. No central heating but brand new MPWH system.

I realise that this investment wouldn't add much value but without central heating, I feel the house (a mid-terrace) needs a feature to attract more buyers.

What do you think?

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

It depends so much on the market. A son recently bought a house which needs a lot doing to it simply because he could make a lower offer than if it had all mod cons. About fifty other people were interested, his bid was accepted and he was able to get a first foot on the property ladder which he wouldn't otherwise have been able to do.

In that case the seller was an old man who's in a home, naturally his relatives wanted to make as much as they could on the sale but they didn't want it on their hands either.

In your case it's different, presumably you want to make a profit on your house (which I suppose you'll do anyway) but you're not seeing yourself as a charity. In today's market the house will sell anyway, I should think but I'd be in two minds about putting all tht work and expense in for someone else to enjoy, perhaps without recouping the value.

Also, some buyers do like to have a plain canvas so that they can have what they want and not someone else's choice.

It's a problem ... I hope I never have to move!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Whoever buys your house will probably want to install central heating as a priority - and their heating system will also heat the hot water, rendering your multi-point heater redundant!

I suppose that you could put in a combi boiler - and only use the hot water side - and it would then be easy for a few radiators to be added later. You could even put in one or two rads youself, so as to sell it with partial central heating.

Personally, I prefer stored hot water systems. Unless you want to get rid of the airing cupboard and use the space to extend a bedroom for instance, I would simply replace the cylinder with a modern lagged indirect cylinder with the heating coil connections blanked off. That way, the next lot can connect it up to a boiler without having to replace it.

Reply to
Set Square

if you have central heating installed, you'll get all your money back, and more, when you come to sell. Without central heating, you'd have to drop the price a lot to get a buyer. Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

It does? Both of these are a turn off. Electric showers are about as much use as a one-legged man at an arse kicking party.

More like great white elephant.

If I were buying a house with one of these, I would factor ripping it out and replacing with a proper heated water system into the price.

In other words, I think you would be lowering the value of the property.

I would suggest one of three options.

1) Replace the cylinder with an equivalent size new Part L or even fast recovery cylinder.

2) The above, but get central heating installed with a good modern boiler. Don't go to BG (overpriced) but a good local firm if you are not able to DIY this. You will make the place more saleable and recover your cost

3) Fit a combi boiler instead of the new HW cylinder and perhaps just add one or two radiators to save cost. This will be a far more marketable proposition than a multipoint.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In your opinion. Our electric shower has been fine for us for about twenty years, we don't feel the need to replace it.

home-owners?

We're very happy with ours. I wouldn't go back to the wasted space of a storage tank.

Since you're unlikely to be making an offer for his house it doesn't matter, does it :-)

I suspect you're playing Devil's advocate.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It is what you like and are used to, of course. If you used a power shower for a while, you probably would not want to return to the electric job.

There's trade offs all round there, though. A hot water cylinder is not particularly space consuming in the context of an entire house and the remainder of the cupboard can be fitted out for a lot of useful storage space.

Considering that the house does not have CH, fitting a multipoint would imply fitting later a second appliance for that. You are then approaching the space use of a cylinder and extra cost to maintain.

That's why I suggested using a combi would be sensible if space is a big issue since it does prepare for a CH system, even if the OP doesn't want to go the full way to installing one. For comparable cost, this would be a better option.

Yes of course. There will be plenty of houses on the market with upgraded HW systems and CH. Those will be easier to sell and command a higher price.

There is always a market for properties requiring investment, so that could be an issue to discuss with a local estate agent to determine marketability either way.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Some people obviously like electric showers (or should they be called "electric drizzles"?) or no-one would make them. However, the overwhelming impression from this NG is that you need either stored hot water (probably with a booster pump) - or a combi boiler with far more heating capacity than even the most powerful electric shower if you are going to get a half-way decent flow rate.

Thus an electric shower is *not* going to be a good selling point in most people's eyes.

Reply to
Set Square

I HAVE used them and don't like them. My skin is far too tender :-)

But I'm using the whole of what was that cupboard. The boiler's in there too :-)

Almost ALL houses are easy to sell these days. I'm always amazed at how quickly the signs go up and down on the most (to me) undesirable properties.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ours is far more than a drizzle. I also use it to clean my honey equipment and you can't do that with a drizzle.

I'm not sure that 'most people' are aware of differences.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not again......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What have I said this time ?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hi,

Might be worth investigating the leak before replacing the cylinder, could just be a leaky seam, connection or isolated pinhole that can be repaired easily.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C