Gutters and new cladding question?

I shall be replacing the gutters front and rear soon and fitting soffits to the bare ends of the roof timbers which the present guttering brackets are fixed directly to. Not something I have attempted before, so....

Has anyone got any useful links to a web site which explains how these are fixed and the correct names for the various parts, just so I know what I'm talking about when I go in the local emporium to order up?

From what I can see the plastic soffits come in two strips, the horizontal and the vertical parts. Do the two just clip together?

How are they fixed to the ends of the beams?

Cheers...

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Never done the job, know nothing about it, but... apparently its worth running a string line across the ends of the beams to ensure they are all the same projection. Otherwise, again apparently, if they aren't all 'level' you should pack them out so they are. Apparently again, plastic fascias & soffits bend to any inaccuarcies & it shows, wheras wood doesn't.

Amazing what you hear discussed at the bacon roll stall in your local Wickes innit?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I had not thought of that, so my thanks.

I can't seem to find any dealers web sites where they give any clues at all how it fits together, those sites I did find all seem to be 'broken' in some way - very annoying.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Might be something here

The Medway Handyman

Harry,

Have a look at this link

for a few ideas.

or along similar lines:

if you wish, try googling with "UPVC soffit and fascia fixing"

Cash

Reply to
Cash

It is fastened with ring shank pins with white caped heads. If there is no sofitts on the original, you will have to fix a lath to the wall to hold the back edge in sit hue. The fascia as a 90 deg lip on the bottom, which holds the outer edge. The joints on both fascia and soffit are left open and a jointing strip is used. Sofit one is H section and the fascia is T shape the corner joints are L shape this L shape one is glued on with special solvent glue. Always cut with a new saw.

One other thing to remember is that if you put a fascia board on an open rafter eave check the overhang of the roof covering into the gutter.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Cash brought next idea :

Thanks, the best information so far.