Guttering a shed

Said shed has a roof overhang. If I simply attach the clips to the fascia of the overhang the rain is simply going to disappear between the fascia and the gutter. I therefore assume I'm going to have to put some kind of batten up to support the gutter so that when it drips off the fascia it goes down into the gutter. I'll have to think about that but I can probably manage that unless one of you says there's a better way!

Where I'm really struggling is attaching the end stops etc to the actual gutter. It's half round, brown (not that really makes a difference) UPVC. The end stop has a plastic membrane in a trough. If I remove the membrane the gutter slides effortlessly into the end stop. But, of course, it's meant to go in with the membrane in place, isn't it? I've tried simply pushing/easing over the membrane. Doesn't work. Tried inserting one side then trying to force the clip the other side over the edge of the gutter. That looks more promising but I don't have the brute force to do it. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Thank you.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

washing up liquid

RT

Reply to
[news]

Hmm, I'm still doing something wrong. Applied the liquid to both the membrane and the exterior of the gutter to privide lubrication. Trouble is that (to provide a fit, I assume) the membrane stands above the level of the end stop and I can't get it over this "lip" when trying to push the gutter into the end stop.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Graham Harrison explained :

I arranged ours so that it ran straight of the felt, into the gutter. I used treated wooden blocks to get the correct spacing out from the walls. A permanently wet facia will rot quickly.

Yes, a little washing up liquid. It makes them slide together easily and will wash away with the first rain... That is if they are intended to push on from the end? I seem to remember the ones I used just need to be hooked on at one side, then stretched a little to click into place at the other side. This was true of the end stops, the bends, and the bit for the downspout too.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'm afraid it has to be the brute force, the clip has to go over last - can be a bit of a bastard :o(

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Try silicon spray lubricant. Sold in a spray can similar to WD40. Make sure you clean off the washing up liquid.

The knack is to insert one side of the gutter under the lip of the stop end, turn the lot over and rest it on your knee and pull the other side open and at the same time with both of your thumbs push the over lap onto the gutter. If this fails, put one side in, line the opposite side and squeeze together with a pair of pinchers, not pliers.

Reply to
keith_765