gutter press

Leafing through the free trade magazine in the Plumbers' Merchant today (as one does, while waiting for the weird customer in front to buy a reducing tee) I saw the following question posed to the magazine's Roger Bisby's letters page:

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Dear Roger

For some time now I have suspected my wife of having an affair. The phone rings and when I answer it the caller hangs up. She says she is out with workmates and when I ask who she says I won't know them. Now she has started playing badminton three evenings a week, which usually seems to involve a drink afterwards. One day I picked up her mobile when a text came in and she went ballistic and accused me of checking up on her and told me never to touch it again.

I have been watching to see her come home but she seems to get picked up and dropped off at the end of the road a lot. In a way I suppose I am scared to confront her and find out the worst but I need to know. I decided to hide outside in the hedge and see her return because I can get a clear view of the end of the road from there and see who drops her off. It was raining hard and I was outside for nearly two hours before she came home and in that time I noticed that my gutter was dripping at one of the joints.

It is an old Arlflex plastic square section system and the merchant has told me that the rubber seals are obsolete. Do you think I should try and seal it with silicone or is there something better on the market?

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

- to which Roger replied "Go for the silicone".

Now I'm not sure I'd agree with that: for a start the surfaces are going to be hard to get dry and silicone's not too good in the wet. I'd be inclined to go for one of the MS polymer compounds. But I'm not really a gutters expert: anyone out there got any better ideas?

Reply to
YAPH

Needs to be a sliding joint - moves a lot every time the sun goes in and out. Unless you can get replacement rubbers, I think you're stuffed. Normally use rubbers and silicone grease to slide. Could ask his wife if she's got any spare rubbers and lubricant when she gets back.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

New shutllecock?

Adam