gutter

My son's house has a 2m length of guttering over the back door that discharges straight into a hopper. Trouble is, it doesn't do that but the water trickles back on the underside of the guttering and drips off at random points. Am I right in thinking there should be a stop end outlet there? Not that there's room for one, but I can't imagine water will ever flow evenly off the end of a piece of guttering. Thanks for any advice

Reply to
stuart noble

Try gluing a piece of chain to the gutter end or bolting it through the gutter, the water will follow the chain quite well.

Reply to
John Williamson

That is a very clever idea! Thanks

Reply to
stuart noble

Sounds like the gutter is absolutely horizontal, instead of having some fall to it. If there was any fall, it'd have to be flowing uphill in order to "drip off at random points". I'd guess there's only a couple of clips involved - might be worth re-hanging it properly.

Reply to
Adrian

Heat up the lower edge of the gutter with a blow lamp and bend it down

90degrees. You only need a "lip" of 10mm to make the water run off properly.
Reply to
harryagain

Thanks chaps. Plenty of good advice, and in a very short time too.

Reply to
stuart noble

I had the same problem twice after fitting new gutter. Cure for me (from aged roofer) was to cut c.10mm off a bit of spare gutter and glue that under the end to provide a sort of (not really but you get the idea) drip cill.

I think it's all down to the plastic being too bloody smooth - and a good fall does not cure that.

Reply to
Robin

It only took me 6 years to fix the drip on my gutter joint. I hated that gutter.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Simple way is to drill a 1/4"or 6mm hole about 1/2 or 12mm back from the end of the gutter and insert a gutter bolt on with the end of the bolt hanging down after tighting the nut.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

You could stick some flashband on the end to form a drip for the water to fall from.

Reply to
John Rumm

In the Alps they often use a length of steel chain for that purpose. The water runs down the chain. The weight of the chain keeps it vertical.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

And the wind blows the rain off the chain all over the shop?

And as they tend to be copper, they'd disappear in the back of a drop-side transit ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

This particular chain would only need to be a couple of inches long, so I'm guessing a bolt, as described by Kipper, would do just as well. Again, thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Reply to
stuart noble

Normally there is a stop end with a downpipe end built in, I have never heard of any design that just allowed it to shoot off the end, unless the builder was Bodgit and Runn. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have one that has been dripping for 25 years, whatever I have tried the drip comes back eventually.

Reply to
newshound

We would have to lower the hopper to make room for a downpipe fitting, and that would mean adjusting other stuff. Can of worms probably

Reply to
stuart noble