Gutenburg and Ereader/tablet

I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm completely amazed by it and what it can do, plus the range of freely available books.

I've signed up to my local public library, which gives me access to download books - some are time limited (just like paper library books), others are permanent.

It may need charging up occasionally, unlike a paper book, but its 32Gb to 96Gb of storage allows thousands of books to be available on it.

I've been a bit of a luddite so far as E-readers have been concerned, I just didn't think the experience would be comparable to holding a paper book in your hand, since this one was delivered yesterday - I have certainly changed my mind. It is very usable and very convenient.

Getting back to the range of free books available...

Some of those available go back almost to the middle ages. I expected them to be just scanned images, but all seem to be proper digital texts. I'm guessing they must have used some very capable OCR software to convert these, along with a very patient proof reader.

Mightily impressed!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In that case, if its android, one could install the screenreader and be read to every night. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff brought next idea :

It already has a screen reader as part of its default software, I just need to explore its abilities.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'm not

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my laptop

It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with when I'm off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it in when I reach my destination

Reply to
tim.....

you should have bought a 7" one ;-)

Reply to
charles

So where do you put your laptop?(which is better you say)

Reply to
F Murtz

Doesn't a 6" phone do the same things?

Reply to
Capitol

I don't take the laptop on such a journey either

my point is that the tab doesn't offer me an extra option here

tim

Reply to
tim.....

dunno, all mine does is make calls :-)

(and that is how I like it BTW - I don't want my call making abilities to be compromised by having a phone that thinks it's a media player)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

No, it won't. It offers improved portability, longer battery life and ease of use - things that don't matter to some. But for many, tablets are a revelation, especially if you read a lot. Wouldn't be without mine, and haven't need to even switch the laptop on in over 2 years.

Reply to
RJH

Bit heavy for reading in bed compared to a Kindle?

Reply to
stuart noble

tim..... was thinking very hard :

I normally take a stack of books away with me, when we go off in the caravan, plus the laptop. Instead of the books, I will just take the laptop and tablet with books installed.

I didn't see the need for them, with a desktop at home, plus a laptop, so last week I would have agreed with you. Its maybe one of those things you need to try, to understand the difference.

I bought a 9 inch NOOK tablet, so it was less of a strain to read. I'm finding it comparable to an actual book to read. The touch screen makes the page turning much more natural, than a mouse of keyboard.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

My 9" tablet weighs 1 lb. A bit heavier than a paper back, but it can have many thousands of books stored inside it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I don't actually use a laptop unless I really have to. I don't work when travelling and I have a desktop everywhere I need one.

Tablets are great little portable sources of information - and amusement! I use mine a lot.

However, I also have what I consider a *proper* e-reader - an e-ink one. That's what I use to read books. Stupidly long battery like and restful to use.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And works in daylight.

Reply to
Capitol

I agree with you, however...

After about one year's (heavy) use, my e-Ink reader needs recharging at least every other day, and those claims of 2 months battery life are based on 30 minutes use per day and probably heavily tweeked to give the very best result possible[1]. If you only read for 30 minutes a day, you don't really need an e- reader.

[1] Since most power is used by the backlight & page turns, both will be minimised or at zero.
Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I was reading a real book the other day. I reached to press the dictionary function.

Reply to
misterroy

My Kindle was still fine and holding a good charge after four years' heavy use. The problem with it was that a button was failing (minor) and also that it had become unacceptably slow although only a third 'full'.

True, although that didn't have a backlight. I have a Kobo Aurora now and I very rarely use the backlight. I tend to read in the same environment I would read conventional books (i.e. there is light). The Kobo seems to last a month and I probably read for a minimum of an hour a day, and often quite a bit more.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Since this is a DIY group, it might be interesting to decide what steps you could take if you had the job of getting the very best possible result out of one of these battery life tests.

Backlight off, minimal (or no) page turns, underclock processor, optimise temperature, select from a production batch for a battery with the best possible capacity.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

One further thing (which the Kobo does) is minimise the 'full refresh' of the screen on every page turn (the thing that makes the screen flash).

Mine is set to do a full refresh every six page turns (it can be altered)...whereas my Kindle does it on every page turn. Result: lower battery use. The minimal downside is that you get faint shadows on the screen but it is not usually notoceable.

Reply to
Bob Eager