Gurgling Boiler.

Hi All

Setup is this: Gas Water heater in kitchen and hot water tank/heater upstairs (a gledhill boilermate II). A fairly standard setup for a new house, Id imagine.

On friday I came home to find water shooting out of my overflow (and a leak inside caused by dodgy overflow plumbing - but that's another story!). The ballcock in the top tank had split in half and was therefore useless (one half was stoved in). Anyroad, I turned the water off, drained the hotwater and credited myself with a smug feeling for fixing the job.

I did notice that there was a unusual 'purring' sound coming from the bottom of the boiler.

Just now, that 'purring' sound has got much louder. On inspection, it's water and air coming (more like spitting) from the bottom tank into the top one via the 'expansion' pipe. I notice when I run the hot tap it goes away, and when I turn the boiler switch off beside the boiler it goes away too.

Question is, what's going on? Could this be the cause of the broken ballcock? How do I fix? has the boiler gone to boiler heaven?

Thanks for any input.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Chaplin