Guide to building walls, fitting windows, doors etc.

I am getting ever closer (but slowly) to moving from planning to building.

I see the Wiki has a US Army guide linked - is this the best guide for building or are there other resources (web sites, books etc) I should be looking at.

All sorts of questions :-)

I am planning to build using blocks, not bricks.

I am wondering, for example:

What is the minimum space between a door frame and a window frame? Is it one block? If so, do you alternate one block and two half blocks to maintain the look as you build upwards, or is this pointless?

If you are only going one course above the top of a window frame do you need a lintel or is the frame itself enough support?

Loads more questions as I start the detailed design.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

"Building Construction Handbook" Chudley & Greeno, Butterworth- Heinemann. I think 2004 is the latest edition on Amazon.

"Home Extensions: The Complete Handbook " Hymers, New Holland, is good for info on supervising a contractor as well as the various things you have to consider (you need to know where your drains are going to go before pouring the foundations...)

Pointless as presumably the blocks will be rendered over, and will have no structural function. In fact if it's such a narrow gap then remove it entirely and form the door and window as one assembly.

You would need a lintel, you might not have much blockwork above but presumably there there is going to be some roof structure needing support? Also you need to provide lateral support to stop the walls each side of the window/door waving in/out.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

AIUI the book's a handy guide for non habitables, but doesn't at all address regulatory issues applying to habitable builds.

NT

Reply to
NT

Also,

gets 404 not found :-(

Reply to
David WE Roberts

However http://140.194.76.129/publications/armytm/TM5-620/ works.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Thanks. Ordered the 2008 edition on SuperSaver delivery. Reviews look good :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Reply to