Guide to adjusting articulated hinges?

I'm calling them articulated hinges, but don't know what they are actually called. I'm referring to the hinges used on the doors in fitted kitchen units and some furniture. Every time I try and adjust those I make a mess of them.

Is there a Ladybird book that says 'twiddle screw X to achieve result Y', with pictures for the intellectually-challenged like me?

Specifically, I need to increase the gap between two doors that are catching on each other.

Cheers.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Obviously that applies to Blum hinges but the ideas are similar across most of them.

Reply to
polygonum

I hate these things. Often its totally impossible to get the doors back toward the end of the cupboard they are mounted on enought to stop them hitting eache other unless you start grinding down the little plastic block they sit on. it seems to me that somewhere along the line the design slightly altered and nobody noticed! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Concealed hinges I think is the correct term.

Very simple;

The door height is adjustable by slackening off 2 screws per hinge & using the slots, fairly obvious.

Each hinge has 2 screws, a locking screw (usually the one furthest away from the door) and an adjusting screw.

Depending on the age & make of the hinge, the adjusting screw may or may not have a slot in it which engages in the hinge. If it has, make sure its engaged.

Slacken off the locking screws on both/all hinges.

Again, depending on the age & make of the hinge, turning the adjusting screw moves the door either left or right - you will be able to see it.

When done, tighten the locking screws.

Robert is your fathers brother.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dave's explanation is spot on but my best tip is to open the door completel y. Observe the gap between the back edge of the door and the side of the cu pboard. This should be even top to bottom. Correct it by using the rearmost screw to move the body of the door in or out towards the face of the cabin et. When you have an even gap close the door. If it clashes or leaves too m uch of a gap go back to these two screws. Its a case of trial and error. Th e second set of screws mentioned by Dave govern the gap between the rear fa ce of the door and the front of the cabinet when closed. These will also af fect how the door closes.If set too tight the door may bind.

Fiddle with only one adjustment at a time and observe the effect it has on the position of the door. Fiddling willy nilly with all the adjustments wil l give nothing but grief.

On the other hand if you have fitted the hinges yourself you're on your own as the possibility exists that they have not been fitted correctly.

Patience.

If all fails get a large ball pein hammer and using the ball end beat the s hit out of the door. Wont solve the problem but will give great satisfactio n

Reply to
fred