GU10 bulb remover

We have about 10 lights using these GU10 bulbs. They have to be twisted to = remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface of = the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the circum= ference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version has c= ompletely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in its= holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cup,= such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly useless.= Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole fit= ting out of the ceiling.

Question 1 . Does anyone know where I could source the original type bulbs.= I'e tried all the usual suspects, both local and ebay.

Question 2 Has anyone found a satisfactory way of removing these bulbs ? I'= m getting too too old to be swaying about on a step ladder.

Reply to
fred

Rubber sink plug.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

o remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface o= f the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the circ= umference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version has= completely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in i= ts holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cu= p, such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly useles= s. Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole f= itting out of the ceiling.

s. I'e tried all the usual suspects, both local and ebay.

I'm getting too too old to be swaying about on a step ladder.

Remove fitting, replace with low voltage fitting , transformer and lamp, fit and forget ;-)

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface of the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the circumference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version has completely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in its holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cup, such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly useless. Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole fitting out of the ceiling.

I'e tried all the usual suspects, both local and ebay.

getting too too old to be swaying about on a step ladder.

Rubber washing up gloves increase the friction substantially.

Reply to
GB

In article , fred writes

Marigold gloves.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Rubber gloves sound good. Will give them a try. Who designs these things

Reply to
fred

remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface of the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the circumference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version has completely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in its holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cup, such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly useless. Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole fitting out of the ceiling.

I can well imagine the right suction cup working - given that we use them here from time to time to lift floor panels which are not exactly light weight.

Amazon sell this one specifically for GU10 removal

there seem to be lots of other ones out there.

Reply to
Malcolm G

remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface of the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the circumference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version has completely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in its holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cup, such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly useless. Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole fitting out of the ceiling.

That's the same one that CPC do - it works very well.

It's not clear from the instructions online, but the green handle cranks over to 90-degrees. You then offer it up to the front surface of the bulb, and move the handle into the vertical position, which creates the suction.

Then un-bayonet (!) the bulb, using the handle. To insert a new bulb - same process in reverse.

As I say - works well...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

=E5=9C=A8 2012=E5=B9=B410=E6=9C=8816=E6=97=A5=E6=98=9F=E6=9C=9F=E4=BA=8CUTC=

+8=E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=886=E6=97=B644=E5=88=8634=E7=A7=92=EF=BC=8Cfred=E5=86=99= =E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

o remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface o= f the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the circ= umference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version has= completely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in i= ts holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cu= p, such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly useles= s. Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole f= itting out of the ceiling.

s. I'e tried all the usual suspects, both local and ebay.

zhengkaiyan60

[...]

Regarding removal what about using an old bulb by cleaning both lenses and sticking both together with blue-tack?

djornsk

remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface of the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the circumference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version has completely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in its holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cup, such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly useless. Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole fitting out of the ceiling.

I'e tried all the usual suspects, both local and ebay.

getting too too old to be swaying about on a step ladder.

These work and are cheap as chips

The Medway Handyman

It *does* work - most of the time - but it feels as if the handle bit will twist off the sucker before I've generated enough torque to rotate the bulb. There was one occasion when the front glass came off, and left the rest of the bulb in situ!

The one from Amazon - suggested by someone else - looks like a better bet.

Oh, and don't make the same mistake as I did when I changed a bulb with the power on. The new bulb got very hot pretty damn quick, and nigh-on melted the sucker before I could remove it!

Reply to
Roger Mills

any thoughts on applying a little smear of something on the pins of a new bulb (Copperslip??)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

As long as the sucker is wet when applied to the lamp then it will work (ie gob on the sucker when you get to the top of the step ladder)

Having swapped/installed many thousands of them I know it works, although I usually just use my fingers and just let friction do the work.

Reply to
ARW

As long as the sucker is wet when applied to the lamp then it will work (ie gob on the sucker when you get to the top of the step ladder)

Having swapped/installed many thousands of them I know it works, although I usually just use my fingers and just let friction do the work.

Reply to
ARW

Considerr using e.g hot glue to glue on a handle. It ruins the bulb..but then its already ruined..

Like the days when we used to weld things onto stuck nuts to get them undone when they were well rounded off..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't have too much trouble removing them with just fingers. It's getting a new one in that takes the time.

Reply to
Mark

to remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface= of the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the ci= rcumference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version h= as completely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in= its holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction = cup, such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly usel= ess. Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole= fitting out of the ceiling.

lbs. I'e tried all the usual suspects, both local and ebay.

? I'm getting too too old to be swaying about on a step ladder.

No. We have one of those and it was useless. Not enough resistance to the t= wisting of the stem.

Reply to
fred

to remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface= of the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the ci= rcumference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version h= as completely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in= its holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction = cup, such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly usel= ess. Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole= fitting out of the ceiling.

That looks like the db. Found one a bit cheaper of flea bay. If the rubber = gloves previously suggested don't do the trick I'll try one of these.

Many thanks to all for their suggestions

Reply to
fred