Grrrrr B&Q Grrrrrr

True, although there is a cost associated with this, and ultimately it is likely to be loaded back into the product price if significant.

It does remain a mess; and it is surprising how much ignorance there is, with retailers believing that the manufacturer warranty is as far as they have to go. Most of the public either believe that as well or don't want to push the issue.

I recently had an issue with an electrical product (not a tool) which cost slightly north of £100 originally 18 months ago. It had come with a 12 month warranty from an on-line supplier who imports from the U.S.

I would not normally buy products without a reasonable method of spares or repair, but this was the only product of its immediate kind and it was fairly clear that spare parts would not be available and repairability limited.

Although quite well made, it failed after 18 months, which I felt to be unreasonable for the price point, and I took issue with the supplier. Their opening gambit was to say that it was nothing to do with them and product was out of warranty.

There were a few exchanges of FAX about that and they referred the issue to the manufacturer who tried to imply that the product had not been used and maintained properly and that they hadn't had other failures. It had been, religiously. They went on to say that in the U.S. the warranty would be the defining rule and they were sure that it would be the same in the UK.

I told the importer that I didn't accept this and pointed out the legislation. There was a rather sneering email back to the effect that I could raise it with Trading Standards if I wanted to, but in sales of many 10s of thousands of products, they had not had a single instance of being shown to be out of line with the legislation or to have been taken to court.

I looked at the product further and realised that it didn't have a CE label (although did have a UL one).

So I wrote to Trading Standards on both issues. The response was that it was up to me to take action through the courts regarding the longevity etc. of the product, but that CE marking did not apply to the class of product in question. I sent them the references to that, but basically they weren't interested in doing anything related to the CE requirement. I wonder why I spend money on getting professional products properly tested and certifications done.....

I wrote again to the supplier, having determined that legal action would cost £30 and made it clear that I would take action if a satisfactory solution could not be agreed.

They offered without prejudice to do a 50% discount on the sale of a replacement unit of a newer and better type having the same list price.

I accepted that and the replacement duly arrived together with about £20 worth of the consumable material that the product uses and a note of apology.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is. click on the "About Us" link.

Reply to
Andy Hall

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster saying something like:

I recently returned a cheapy VCR to Argos, with a receipt.

Only problem was, the receipt had been left on a windowsill for a couple of days in sunlight and had turned totally black (thermal printing paper, I assume) and was utterly unreadable.

No problem as it turned out. They were happy to refund me.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks but I'd rather spend over four times that on a Makita.

Reply to
Matt

See

AlexW

Actually, the European ruling had no direct effect in the UK, as the UK's statutory period was already 6 years. The only real effect was indirect, as many European manufacturers now offer 2 year warranties in addition to your statutory rights.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'm not sure if this is it @ £99. with a 80mmx300mm cut.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yeah, I find it particularly excellent for cutting pushfit plumbing; don't you agree?

Dave

Reply to
Gonzo

At least it would cut it square unlike drivel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I do. Just cut up the pushfit fitting and then no future sprinkler system. I like positive thinking.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

cut for sensibleness

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Lord Hall, why don't you give them 10 times as much.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The ones I had, had the problems described. I noticed other people had better experiences, thanks for that.

I went for a dewalt in the end which suits me fine.

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

I've got an early non 'Pro' twin rail 10" blade one. The slide action is rather sticky so not really an operational feature - more an easy preset. Cost about 150 quid IIRC. But it's pretty rigid and therefore accurate for my limited purposes - unlike my previous non sliding cheapy which was terrible.

I'm sure it is much better, and worthwhile if used frequently.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I only recently gave away my single rail one (lack of space), got given that from a builder who had used it for a couple of years, I put a £10 wickes blade on it and it cut all the stud walls in my house ... now thats value for money!

TBH, my requirements were a little unusual, 10-11" slide action and very small size - I decided it could not live in the unheated timber garage and I only have one tool cupboard, which is now getting very full.

Its /is/ nice, its got loads of trim work etc work to do ... just trying to find the time!

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Quite a few years ago, I came across a spray can that was made by Protocoat. It is a silicone colloidal suspension. It works by getting the silicone to the problem and the carrier/liquid evaporates away. Since the solution evaporates, there is nothing to catch any further dust. It worked very well on some delicate test equipment on aircraft and has worked on various, sliding metal, wood working tools that I have had since.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Whose consensus?

Excellent compared with what? A rusty old bike from a canal?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, on the thread.

Did they say that?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Are you hearing "the voices" again?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Interesting. Even by cleaning the rails 'till they gleam and adding a few spots of sewing machine oil it still doesn't slide freely enough to be a truely operational control. But the later roller bearing ones from Rexon etc I've tried in B&Q are nothing like as rigid side to side etc. All down to cost, I'd say.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)