Grrrrr B&Q Grrrrrr

Yep! and after the warrenty period they can be disposed of.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Big deal he could of bought in a car boot sale.

Without a receipt he's banging his head against the wall.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Neither of which the OP has. At the end of the day he is relying on the goodwill of B&Q to take this back.

Reply to
Tony Hogarty

question 7

Paul

Reply to
Paul

But that only applies if he payed via cheque,credit card, ect. If he payed with cash then he's up the creek.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

"He" paid by CC but with several other things at the same time, therefore the CC bill doesn't show the price of the drill.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

There is a way round it and thats buy another drill with receipt a month later take the old drill back and demand a full refund. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Just go back to the same B&Q when there's somebody else on the till and try again. They are normally extremely helpful IME over this sort of thing; you probably just got somebody on a bad day.

David

Reply to
Lobster

As the drill was used and they can't put it back on the shelf, they need to know if it is within the 3 years to change it. I see nothing wrong with that. It could be 4 years old.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

My sister took back a PP hammer drill that failed (he misused it really) without a receipt and they just changed it without any hassle. It was in the original box and she cleaned it up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Don't they have a returns kiosk in B&Q? i wouldn't know as I've never been to a B&Q. I do know that 2 of my local sheds have these kiosk just inside entrance to the sheds solely for the purpose of returns of faulty goods and the same personell are manning it.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Except there isn't a "statutory warranty period". A purchased item should last as long as it can reasonably be expected to last - if it fails within six months of purchase it is assumed to be faulty unless the supplier can prove otherwise, after six months it's up to the buyer to prove fault. There is a statutory limit to the time within which a claim can be made (6 years in the UK) but that's all.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Great minds think alike (or fools seldom differ!) I suggested that to the guy in B&Q last night, he didn't see the irony and just said "but it wouldn't be the same drill" ... it would be sad if it weren't so %^&* annoying.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

This implies that you do have a statement which shows a purchase for a greater value of goods than the cost of the drill. If this is the case then take this and ask again for your replacement product. You may not be able to prove that this was the transaction on which you purchased the drill but equally they cannot prove that you didn't and you have made reaonable efforts to provide them with the proof they have asked for. The fact that you are not asking for a refund usually makes these things easier. I agree with other comments here, you were unlucky with the individual you were dealing with and on a different day you probably would have got a replacement without any hassle.

Reply to
Kevin

The guy said it had been on sale for more than 2 years - if it was more than 2 years old it would have to be "sent back" rather than replaced. When I pointed-out the "07/04" stamped on the bottom of the drill housing he insisted that it wasn't a date code.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I knew a bloke that would go to great lenght's if he did not get satisfaction in returning faulty goods.

His latest was a 'power washer', he like you never retained the receipt so he went and bought another 'power washer' from the same store took it home dismantled it and changed the damaged drum(which had cracked at one of the seams) put it back together with the old drum in the new 'power washer' and took it back 2 months later demanding a full refund as he told the store returns bloke that it was the second 'power washer' he'd bought from the shed and it was giving him the same fault as the one he'd bought 11 months ago.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

This draft has been ratified. Make of it what you will.

that you might have to take it to Brussels, but you have little risk of that. A supplier dare not get such a case in the national press.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Why only to the end of the warranty period? Better to keep them for as long as the goods would be 'reasonably' expected to last. Don't be fooled into thinking that after the warranty has expired you've got no comeback...

Of course, a receipt is not essential for this sort of thing but, as is clear from this discussion, it certainly helps with any battle.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Waiting until the busiest times at the weekend can also help - the last thing the poor guy on returns wants to do is argue the particulars of what's right and wrong. I've found in these circumstances they're more concerned with keeping the queue length (not to mention their own stress levels) down rather than arguing interpretations of the SOGA in front of a crowd.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Not according to UK law he doesn't. All he needs is proof.

Reply to
dennis