GRRR!!! They've laid the vinyl in my kitchen at an angle!

I've just had two guys in laying vinyl in our kitchen and discovered that they've laid it at an angle which is really starting to annoy me. The floor space is quite small (8 feetwide by 10 feet long ) and it's that wood effect vinyl (which looks like floorboards). Basically the vinyl has parallel lines running through it which are about 4 inches apart. On one side which has the worktop and kitchen units it is out of square just under 4 inches over 8 feet and to me it looks really obvious. I mentioned it to them afterwards and they gave me some nonsense that they had lined it up with the hallway which leads to the kitchen! I said I'd have to discuss it with my wife when she gets home. The vinyl cost =A3250 including a small section for a utility room/ toilet which they will fit in a couple of days (if I can fix a leak from the toilet). That includes all fitting. So the kitchen section was about =A3200. However I haven't paid for any of the vinyl yet. The same shop fitted carpet for us just over a year ago for =A31900 which all went fine. (The carpet didn't have a pattern!). If it was a half an inch or maybe an inch out I think I could live with it but 4 inches is too much especially as we may be selling the house in a couple of years and it looks so amateurish.

As this seems to be such a basic error am I entitled to ask for the whole thing to be replaced?

Reply to
jgkgolf

If it was a half an inch or maybe an inch out I think I could live with it but 4 inches is too much especially as we may be selling the house in a couple of years and it looks so amateurish.

As this seems to be such a basic error am I entitled to ask for the whole thing to be replaced?

I don't know, but I'd be more than irritated. You don't line up a pattern with that in another room but according to the lines in the room itself.

Let's hope that your wife is as fierce as you are timid :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

I'd be going up the wall with them by now so yes!...

Reply to
tony sayer

To my mind, that's the single biggest reason why it should have been straight... in effect what you have are immitation floorboards... the genuine articles would of course always be parallel to the walls of the room, so to depart from that must I imagine really grate on the eye!

Go for it!

David

Reply to
Lobster

As this seems to be such a basic error am I entitled to ask for the whole thing to be replaced?

I would not wait for wife to come home

Call the shop ask for the manager to come out and look at it preferably straight away

As you have not paid yet you are in a strong position

I would expect them to supply new vinyl and fit it correctly

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Or do what I do.. threaten to send the mother-in-law..

OK I know its outlawed by the Geneva convention as a "cruel and unusual punishment" but the threat is enough:--)....

Reply to
tony sayer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com saying something like:

Too right - 4" out over 8' is far too much. Only a blind prat would have laid it like that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

One wonders why they did it. It must have been easier to lay it straight

Reply to
Stuart Noble

When the OP says 'lined up with the hallway' - does that mean that if you look along the hall into the kitchen the lines look 'straight'?

Also, the kitchen presumably has cabinets on several sides - are these square to each other and only the floor is out, or is the kitchen non-square and the vinyl is laid to match one side and not the other?

I'm curious as to how, if it's laid to line up with the hall, the hall is at such an angle to the kitchen.. what shape is the house?

Reply to
PC Paul

I've just laid 'tile' effect laminate in a small bathroom. You need to get the 'tiles' square in two directions.

Room was of course pissed, so I got the lines parrallel to the bath and the door threshold.

So, when you enter the room, the door opens to the right and the bath is on the left. It looks fine.

If you look behind the door, the tiles taper and if you look behind the bog & basin they also taper. No perfect way to do the job, but visually it looks good.

Can't say I would worry about an adjacent room inless it was the same flooring.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Like I said at the start when they said 'lined up with the hall' they were talking nonsense. For a 100 year old house everything is virtually square. I can't find anything that the vinyl has been lined up parallel to! It's a small kitchen with 'L' shaped units and worktop on one side and on the other side a Fridge freezer, small table and chairs and a rad which the door from the hallway opens onto. There is another door at the other end leading to a utility room/toilet and then to the garden. When you sit at the table and look at the units it's fairly obvious that the vinyl is not right. However it is most obvious when you walk down the hallway to the kitchen and you see these parallel lines going off at an angle to the left! The carpet shop owner is coming around tomorrow evening to see for himself.

Reply to
jgkgolf

The shop owner arrived on Sat morning , took one look at it , and agreed to replace it.

If you don't ask you don't get.

Thanks for all your advice.

Reply to
jgkgolf