grrr... Cistern Close Coupled leaking problems

Tried what I thought was a simple job, replace the gubbins inside my cistern with a internal overflow type, however everytime I fit is all back the damn thing leaks. The leaks come from around the donut, which I have today replaced. I have seen leaks when I flush, but now I am also seeing leaks from around there whilst the cistern fills.

Can someone give me some tips on how to stop the damn leaks? I have taken the Flapper Flush Valve out and cleaned up around it, and the washer is new (it came with the conversion kit). I have tightened this up pretty tight.

Should I be applying anything on there?

Thanks.

Reply to
MarkG

pretty tight.

I feel for you :-s Fitted dozens of these myself and there's always the odd one that wants to leak!

Have you... Made sure that nothing is snagging and that the whole cistern is properly seated. Checked that the outlet on the flush isn't hitting the bottom of the inlet on the pan and thus preventing the cistern from being tightly screwed down, via the wing bolts? Is the flush properly seated onto the cistern, centred in the hole? Don't use silicone where they have supplied any rubber washers with the kit (wing bolt fixings/flush pipe fixing) but do use some where they haven't. I usually use some around the hole on the base of the cistern to seal the plastic backnut, and also inside the cistern where the wing bolts go through... Unless a rubber seal has been supplied. Tighten both wing bolts evenly and firmly- use tool for an extra turn when thumbs and finger are maxed out.

HTH

Reply to
Dean Heighington

Leaks when you flush are from the joint between the cistern & the pan. Leaks when filling are from the joint between the valve & the cistern.

First thing is, there are 2 types of donut. One has a rounded top, the other has a square top, make sure you replace like for like.

Next check inside the cistern where the valve fits to make sure the surface around the hole is flat & smooth with no bumps etc. I usually apply a layer of LS-X sealant under the washer. Washer goes under the valve.

Do the bolts go through the bottom of the cistern or do you have a metal plate they hook onto?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Follow the instructions for the gubbins. The outlet pipe may need cutting down for your toilet.

Take everything apart and clean all the parts and surfaces thouroughly. Use a fresh doughnut of the correct size and shape. Don't use silicone, it is not needed and does not stick to the doughnuts (I know, I tried). Nothing else is needed, either.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

this up pretty =A0tight.

Also, after a few days go back and tighten them some more, since the donut seems to compress a bit after a few days, IME. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson