GRP screwless plugs any good?

Hi All,

Being off sick for a few days found me stumbling across QVC and one of their DIY presentations,

Along with the std routers and wire strippers they showed some grey 'plastic' (GRP?) 'screwless rawlplugs' (for want of a better description) that you just hammered into a pre drilled hole and that was that?

I guess these are available elsewhere (sheds?) but I wondered if anyone has used them and what you thought of them?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

These?:

so, B&Q sell them.

I have used them to hold up kitchen cupboards and they are great. Make sure you buy decent quality ones though.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

though you can hammer it in).

More like the top two items on here ..

they are 7mm in diameter and you drill a 6mm dia hole.

As you hammer (tap) them in, the slot down them 'gives' to provide a secure fit?

They did some good demos using them but you never know if their examples are 'valid' in the real world?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

How do you get them out again?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

| |T i m wrote: |> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:06:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@email.com (sPoNiX) wrote: |>

|> >These?: |> >

|> =

|> though you can hammer it in). |>

|> More like the top two items on here .. |>

|> As you hammer (tap) them in, the slot down them 'gives' to provide a |> secure fit? | |How do you get them out again? |

Angle grinder?

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

>>> Not quite (with the above you do still actually have a 'screw' even

Er! drill them out.

Personally these are for light fixings to a wall and i would never trust a plastic dowel&peg for cupboards.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That's the answer they offered in the presentation and being 'plastic' shouldn't be too difficult?

Whilst I agree if the substrate is less than predictable, in something 'good' however I believe most of the load on the fastenings on a wall mounted cupboard (for example) is shear and these things looked pretty tough (they sounded 'hard' as they were being hammered in)?

They had a 4 1/2" thick concrete block (not celcon etc) hanging from a string hooked over one single plug designed for picture hanging (with a thin 'waist' as such) and that was in the side of the bench that was moving about as they did the demos?

He also demonstrated a round headed plug by fixing a shallow metal single box to some form of concrete block. After he tapped the single plug home in the middle of the box he realised it was on the pi$$ but couldn't easily twist the box square (suggesting it was held on there with some force)?

These plugs are smooth and I believe work simply by the pressure excerted into the hole by the 'stiffness' of the (GR)plastic .. something similar to the effect you get when you expand a soft plastic plug in a hole with a metal plug (screw)?

I dare say when the first purpose made wall plugs came out there were fears of them not being as good as the 'real thing' (a wooden dowell or a load of matches ) and the same again when we went from fibre to plastic?

As mentioned though on an old house like this (1897) I think I would still like the 'feel' you get with screw-in-plug (a clue re the result found as the drill goes into air or flint) but for fast / light work on new builds... ?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Funny you should say that Dave but a point of note was that if you used the countersunk head version it could be sanded flush with the surface (if say used through a wooden batten), easily painted and wouldn't rust (un treated) like a screw might?

Hmmm ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to