Grouting travertine wall tiles

Is there a neat way to do this without getting the grout into the holes in the tiles? I plan to seal them before fixing them but I still think the grout could be a problem.

Thanks

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

You have to point them up a bit like brickwork. Takes a while but looks better than grout smudged all over the surface as per tile showroom displays.

mark

Reply to
mark

Thanks

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan I had to do the same job for an insistent customer , found the best way was with a cheap icing gun , like mum used for her cakes , apply the grout and smooth with your finger . tedious but it worked . Steve

Reply to
devonsteve

Yes.

First treat the tiles with one coat of Lithofin MN Stainstop. This will not wreck the apearance of the tiles by making them look glossy, but will protect the surfaces for wiping off of any stray grout. Wipe off any excess sealer (v. important) andleave for 24hrs per the instructions.

Use a good quality grout in powder form from a manufacturer such as Ardex or possibly BAL with a long open time. Both have good technical departments with good advice. Don't use readymix grout or anything that sets quickly - you may need the time for cleanup. There are fine grouts which tend to be used wth polished tiles and fine 2-3mm joints. There are also coarser, sandy grouts for wider joints and for non-smooth tiles. Considering that this is tiles with rough surface, probably the coarser grout would look better.

I've used a large syringe for applying grout in this applicaton and have also used wide masking tape, cutting at each joint junction with a scalpel. Doing about 1sqm at a time works well and one can sponge off about 4sqm with a long open time grout.

Finally, apply further coat of MN Stainstop.

Reply to
Andy Hall