Grouting Travertine Tiles?

So far:

Kitchen is done out with 4" natural stone tiles. Tiles are sealed. I've avoided grouting them for too long as they cost a lot and took me ages and I'm scared of messing them up! The tile surface is pitted which is part of the look.

When I grout, ( 'ivory') should I do it in the conventional swishing across the lot and filling the holes or somehow point up the joints? What do others do?

Thank you

mark b

Reply to
mark b

I sealed. swished the lot, and spent the next hour washing carefully with a damp sponge, rinsed EVERY wipe.

Do not do to big an area at a time.

That gets 99% off te tiles, though the cracks in it are always a problem.

A mild descaler gets the rest of the white 'film' off, and more wiping, and a coat of color intensifier restores most of the quality of color.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I tend to grout with my finger, pushing it into the gap, takes ages, is cleaner, you know the grout has 'gone in' rather than just sat on the surface, and effectively removes your fingerprint and makes said finger sore as .....

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Ditto what Jeff says, use a finger but for heaven's sake use a glove otherwise you will have bleeding fingertips eventually.

Andy

Reply to
andrewpreece

[14 lines snipped]

I used to do this until I bought a "squidgy" grouting float (from Screwfix). They're brilliant... Forces the grout into the gaps really well, and if you dip it in water, cleans the excess off the surface well, too. All that for £4.95, too.

Reply to
Huge

Think that's roughly what I used as well.

When decorating in any guise, there is no subsitute for patience and attention to detail though.

A *perfect* finish takes *infinite* time and patience. Whatever tools you use.

It's up to the individual what level of imperfection they are content with.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Buy a special protective sealer from BAL(Norcross adhesives Ltd)and apply it first, then after grouting, the sealer washes off taking the excess grout with it.

Reply to
housemartin

And presumably stops the grout from sticking where you want it, too.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Only if you paint it in the grout lines!

Reply to
Housemartin