Grouting! Recommendations for cleaning

Hi all

Has anyone tried these "grouting renovation" products you see in the sheds? They look expensive and very fiddly to me; I'd be prepared to put up with both, if the end result is as good as they say, but it's better to get some opinions first if I can.

The particular problem I have is that the plain white tiling in our bathroom is in good order, but the grouting's grubby. Much worse: I think it's the original tiling from when the house was built in 1962: the "grout" may be cement -- it's extremely hard, and the tiling gaps are very narrow.

Any opinions? Cheers John

Reply to
John

The one I tried was just like an acrylic paint sitting on top and rubs off very easily when wet. Neat thick bleach left overnight and scrubbed in with a hard brush can be quite effective.

Reply to
choco

Not an easy problem.

Dishwasher detergent and hot water is pretty powerful. Bleach will shift some things.

Last resort is mild acid. It attacks the grout, eating the top layer. Risk, , but worth a go if your only other option is regrouting.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Have you tried Dettox Mould & Mildew remover? (no, I do not work for them, or anyone selling it!). I have been quite surprised at the greyness that shifts. Watch out for the fumes - largely bleach, by the smell.

Regards, VivienB

Reply to
VivienB