Grouting for floor tiles

I need to grout some newly laid white floor tiles but am having difficulty in finding white grouting. There's plenty of light grey, charcoal, black and sandstone but no white.

Is there a good reason? Does white dirty quickly and irretrievably? Or is it a fashion 'thing'?

I just bought some in Wickes last week. It was pre-made mind you (I am

*that* lazy ... ;)

al

Thanks! I feel a visit to Wickes coming on.

Pre-mixed isn't a problem: I'm kn*ckered from trudging up and down stairs between the tile saw in the garage and the shower room.

Now, anyone got any thoughts on my other posting regarding using floor tile adhesive for the last few wall tiles...?

I know that tilers swear that it will become irretrievably dirty early on and therefore really don't recommend it. That said, a friend in a two (careful) person household insisted on white and has had no reason to regret it.

I suspect that if the grout is subject to high wear, you will have reason to regret choosing white, if not, it might be worth a try.

Shona Honeyman

If it's a bathroom with a toilet in it then I'd definitely not use a white grout. I can't see how that wouldn't get dirty quickly. Not just from bad aimers but people wearing shoes on wet tiles etc.

Do a google on this NG, you'll read about other people's experiences with white grout. There is another white grout which is epoxy resin based and will resist dirt but is harder to apply and doesn't come off the tiles as easily as standard grout.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Another option is to add a waterproofing polymer to cement based grouts, such as BAL Admix GT1. It doesn't claim to reduce staining, but by reducing water permeability, it might do so. You won't be able to use this with ready-mixed grout though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Didn't find too many postings but got the general drift.

I think I might suggest to Management that light grey would be a more serviceable option. Hopefully, she'll agree.

I've installed a downstairs loo, so my beige stairs carpet and the white grout in the upstairs loo (made by BAL, mix yourself) have remained fairly clean so far.

The (upstairs) loo floor has been down nearly a year, but I didn't have any option but to use a very light grout, as it has 3" X 3" natural/white marble tiles down.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Ardex-Flex FL.

Ardex-Flex FS if the joins are narrow, though.

Seal the grout after it has dried. I've used Lithofin MN StainStop, although KF StainStop would be more suitable for ceramics. This will seal both the grout and the tiles themselves.

?xProd=49&xSec=9If you have glazed tiles that won't benefit from sealing, then use Lithofin Grout Protector on just the grout.

Christian McArdle