Ground level & damp question

Doesn't the air brick ventilate the under floor space? So how can the floor be lower than the top of the air brick? Unless there is some pathway taking the air lower.

Not level level with the top of the haunching?

Is there any evidence of damp proof course, looks like and oldish building so look for a joint with slate embeded rather than plastic DPM. B-) The bottom of the wall is green but with a fairly well defined and straight cutoff. Has there been an injection damp proof system used? Look for a row of fille holes, spaced every foor or so, above the green cutoff. Any paperwork relating to a guarantee?

You don't want to create a mini funnel for water coming down the face of the wall or dripping of the cill above. Does the cill have a drip slot underneath the front edge and round the ends to the wall?

I bet water pours into that pathway from the left, does that single gully cope? The lid of the man hole at the far end looks a bit iffy and needs sorting along with getting rid of the moss, not only will it hold moisture it'll be slippy. Having said that it looks to be a naturally damp place so there will be a constant battle between daughter and moss/algae.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bill Wright scribbled

Poured what ???

Reply to
Jonno

He meant pawed...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How do you know they were pretty? :-)

Reply to
pamela

The standard of trolling on Usenet is not what it used to be. The folks these days have no subtlety. Whatever works for you, I guess. :-)

Reply to
pamela

It's not trolling. It's an experienced view of the great shithole of the south.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Eric scribbled

What's with the trolling obsession ?

Reply to
Jonno

Who's Eric?

Reply to
pamela

Eric scribbled

Forgotten already ?

Reply to
Jonno

Do those things actually work? Our house predates damp courses...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Donno, really. When we bought this place it came with a guarantee for Damp Proof Injection of some the outside walls.

We never saw it before the DPI and the inside was and still is drylined. When the old drylining was stripped out the walls looked bone dry and no smell of damp. There is one patch of damp at the bottom of an internal wall rising 18" or so and about 6' long, it looks suspicously like rising damp and being an internal wall wasn't treated. 2 + 2 = 5

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes. Remind me please. :-)

Reply to
pamela

Eric scribbled

Too late, I've been to sleep since.

Reply to
Jonno

They claim to tackle rising damp, yet RD is a very rare beast, despite bein g wildly overdiagnosed. If you hahve damp in an old house, injection is sel dom going to be the solution.

A story did the rounds a few years back of an injection dpc company that go t into financial difficulty and began injecting water instead. No-one compl ained so they carried on, doing a large number of buildings without complai nt. Eventually they were caught of course.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Fact is, porous brickwork will absorb gallons of liquid, and it ain't cheap, so I doubt the job is ever done thoroughly. A good thing some might say

Reply to
stuart noble

It prevents damp rising by capillary action in porous masonry. (It's water repellent) However, it doesn't make masonry magically waterproof. So if there's water "dammed" behind a water, it won't hold it back. You can hire the gear and buy chemical at tool hire shops.

Rising damp is not as common as people think, it's usually condensation. Or a wall acting as a dam.

Reply to
harry

It's only applied to a single course of brickwork.

Reply to
harry

That was near here, They were only caught because one of their competitors complained. None of the customers did. Indeed they were particularly complimentary about how meticulous they were at cleaning around the walls, removing weeds, moss and soil etc. This might give you a clue as to what really stopped the damp.

Reply to
Peter Parry