ground floor chimney breast partial removal

I've read with some alarm old posts in the group about removing the chimney breast from downstairs rooms. I don't really fancy the expense of getting it completely removed and properly supported. But is there a way of simply opening it up to somewhere near ceiling height, leaving a pillar of bricks on either side and supporting with an RSJ across those pillars. So it would be like a normal fireplace, only a lot bigger, creating an alcove of usable space. This is in a ground floor flat, no access to the upstairs at all (though cooperative people upstairs who would allow anything that was complying with regs and done by professionals).

Thanks,

John

Reply to
JK

There is no way to remove only a partial section of a chimney breast because it is most commonly forming an actual part of the building structural support. The only way is to remove all or none I'm afraid.

Reply to
BigWallop

But all I'm proposing is something like a larger fireplace opening. As it was built, it would have have an opening about 3' square with a lintel for support. I'm just thinking I could make that higher and a bit wider, with a bigger lintel.

Reply to
JK

You'd have to make sure that the surrounding narrower stonework will be able to take the larger lintel and the same weight of house above it though. Some old fireplaces and chimney breasts where built from rubble infill with a thin stone facing, so the bits you see on the chimney breast may just be a built up decorative facing to take the old fire surround.

There are also some old chimney breasts, the most common type, that are full structural supports right down to the foundations and beyond, so need treated as supporting structures. This type will need to be strutted with props and battens and things before cutting anything out of them. The weights and sizes need proper calculation to be sure that full weight above them will properly supported. When you cut bits away you're actually making the remaining sections narrower and weaker remember.

Weaken the stonework in anyway without being aware of the weight that you're about to place on a larger opening is a really stupid idea, and it may mean you'd have to place upright beams from the actual foundations of the house before you place a lintel across them to take the full weight of the rest of the house again.

Or you could just bash a bigger hole out and fit a bigger lintel, then pray that your gut feeling was correct. :-))

Call in some one who can actually look at the job and give you more advice on this. Better safe than sorry, eh ?

Reply to
BigWallop