Gritters grip

No, home to work would be from home to their depot, which is their designated workplace. Travelling from home to a remote work site away from the workplace is not commuting.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

BMW saloons were being specifically pulled over by the police approaching a fairly gentle hill near me and being told "you'll never make it".

Reply to
Reentrant

Y'know, I'm not sure. Someone gave me this URL though which explains a bit of the science:

and that would suggest that it's something other than "just salt" that they use around here, because the temperatures are often too low for salt to work (although it's a relatively-warm 0 degrees F outside today)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

2' outside as I type... and we had a similar amount last year. Admitedly 2" would be considered "an awful lot of snow" in many parts of the country...

Doesn't American snow drift? 2' of drift can form very rapidly and it doesn't have to be snowing, the wind just picks it up from exposed areas and dumps it in the gap between the walls/hedges each side of the road.

When it's really drifting up here the ploughs just drive around the roads about every hour, even then any one in a normal car would have problems 15 to 30 after the plough had passed. Best to wait and follow it...

Agreed, the sticky wet stuff they get a low levels that makes a good construction material is far harder to shift than a freshly formed drift from fine dry powder snow. A plough with the latter can be almost useless as the stuff behaves like a fluid and flows around the plough like water around a boat.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I thought home to work was tax free with a company "van". But if it was used for anything other than commuting, or for work, ie any private use at all, you would incur tax on £3,000, plus fuel allowance of £500.

Reply to
Fredxx

No - "home to office" is your own responsibility and use of a company vehicle for that is taxable. HOWEVER, if you can convince the taxman that you only travel directly home-to-office occasionally and that most of your home-to-work journeys are not via the office, you can get away with it. Obviously the same applies for the return journeys (office to home).

BTDTGTTS.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

That isn't my understand The commuter use requirement is satisfied at any time if -

a.. the terms on which the van is available to the employee at the time prohibit its private use otherwise than for the purposes of ordinary commuting or travel between two places that is for practical purposes substantially ordinary commuting, and b.. neither the employee nor a member of the employee's family or household makes private use of the van at the time otherwise than for those purposes.

Reply to
Fredxx