grit under lining paper

Why is it that whenever you put up lining paper, no matter how clean everything is, you always get small particles under the paper, somtimes only visible with light from a shallow angle, but always there. I visited someones house recently who had done the lining/emulsion thing, and there they were, creating little peaks in the paper. If you are papering over the lining, you can pick them out with a knife, Does anyone know what I'm talking about and how annoying it is. Ways to solve this ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I know whay you mean. I guess the answer is to clean more, or just paint the plaster.

Reply to
Rick

In article , sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Nope, never had that :-D

If you size the wall with dilute PVA then you'll stabilize any loose grit meaning there won't be any new stuff, then run your hands over the whole wall looking for grit (now stuck in place by the PVA) and remove it with a scraper.

Mix paste in a new bucket and keep the area scrupulously clean when pasting. Don't lay the pasted paper anywhere you wouldn't eat your dinner off.

Since I started doing this I haven't had any problems with grit bugs.

(I think it's all down to stabilising the wall, if it's old plaster then running your hands over an apparently smooth wall will loosen grit which will find it's way under the paper)

Reply to
fred

Push something like the face of a hammer head against the paper when it's still damp and it will deal with small pieces of grit.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Run a vacuum cleaner over everything (ceiling, walls, floor, paste table) after you've finished patching and sanding. Make sure the bucket is clean before you mix the paste.

Reply to
Rob Morley