Grinding brass swarf into brass powder

Hi guys,

A workshop near where I live produces a lot of brass swarf which is then sold as scrap.

Bearing in mind that brass is a ductile metal, what is the best way to grind the swarf into ~300 mesh or finer powder?

Will an arrangement similar to a peppercorn or coffee grinder work, or will it just spit out the brass pretty much unchanged due to the alloy's ductility?

Thanks. James

Reply to
James Taylor

Not easy, I suspect.

ISTR that some things are chilled to liquid nitrogen temperature, which makes them much more brittle, before grinding. No idea if this would work for brass (and would probably depend on the alloy).

Reply to
newshound

On Monday, April 16, 2012 11:28:49 AM UTC+1, James Taylor wrot

Bessemer (of steel converter fame) made his fortune first by producing bron= ze powder for use in paint. There were several machines involved, apparentl= y it was not a simple process. You might be able to find details of his pro= cess. It wasn't patentable and was kept very secret during his life.

I suspect brass would corrode, or de-zincify, if finely powdered.

Reply to
Onetap

powder for use in paint. There were several machines involved, apparently it was not a simple process. You might be able to find details of his process. It wasn't patentable and was kept very secret during his life.

I would think a ball mill with rolling ball bearings.. perhaps not. Maybe a grinding stone?

Or simply spray molten brass through a nozzle?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher