Gridwatch query

I use the UK Gridwatch site

Are there any such sites for other countries?

Reply to
TMC

No sadly. I found a bit of data on Germany and Austria somewhere.

It simply was not real time or comprehensive enough to be usable. Just some pretty Flash graphs showing how wonderful wind and solar were, except at night when there was no solar, and in the cold still winter, when there was no wind either.

But the UK is streets ahead in terms of reporting publicly interesting information.

I WISH there was more.

I would LOVE to do a map of e.g. river levels for really good flood indication..

there are thousands of radio sensors all along our rivers showing the actual water level..but they are not available on line at all.

Likewise it would be really cool (sic!) to take amateur observation of e,g. meteorological data and show rainfall sunfall and temperature maps a LOT better than the very few public stations the met office has.

In fact so much Really Useful Data (RUD, as opposed to private data which is all FUD) could be centralised and normalised and displayed in this way...

As I say, find me a data source* and I will build the sites.

*online, real time, and at least available in some form of textual format. I can't decipher graphs. Even less can I decipher flash movies..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The EA has a reasonably useful real-time river level site, and Q22 of their FAQ implies they're working on making raw data available if you want to try and do better,

Simon Kelley

Reply to
Martin

> Simon.

Excellent link I can spend hours looking at this

some heavy rain would make it more interesting

Reply to
TMC

One an always dop better.

Hmm. I'll bookmark that.

The have actually dine a fair job when all is said and done but one might do better..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , TMC writes

Which appears to be showing no supply or demand ATM

Reply to
geoff

Server's been upgraded to a RasPi, hope you weren't planning on ordering anything from Farnell today geoff? RS seem to be coping better.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yep - Farnel/Onecall are nearly dead. I had the login page up once just now

- but no more.

For a company that size whose website deals with a hell of a lot of traffic, I'm quite surprised they managed to get "slashdotted" by one product!

Reply to
Tim Watts

It recovered, and I even managed to order a RP.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Lucky you! It's dead again.

RS have sold out already according to Twitter and are taking preorders...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Still down from here, I managed to re-load the "bones" of an old Farnell page from my web history, html only, no images/css, most of the time their server is just sending RST

Any one know the RS part number for a raspi? The search on their webpage only brings up the "register your interest" page, which apparently is the old page.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's quite refreshing that a piece of genuine technology is attracting the same sort of interest as Paris Hilton's knickers would on ebay.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yeah. BM reports went offline for 6 hours. No data.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I heard this from elsewhere, but I know we made an RS order without problems (I was out doing a delivery run)

Reply to
geoff