Green roofing "felt"

I am sat here watching some roofers on the house opposite. Instead of roofing felt they are using some thin plastic type stuff which is green on one side and white on the other. What is this stuff? Surely it won't provide as much insulation as traditional felt?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Jones

I presume you mean under the tiles. There are several super duper types nowadays which are breathable one way , insulated, extremely strong 25 yr guarantee etc. I think screwfix list one type.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Those aren't the main reasons. The primary purpose of sarking (felt or boards) is to catch wind blown rain and fine snow that inevitably gets under the roof covering sometimes and allow it to drain into the gutters.

The green material observed by the OP does indeed sound like a high-quality vapour permeable 'felt' such as 'Tyvek'.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Errm, who says the felt is to provide insulation? That's provided by the thick layer of between the rafters. AFAIK roofing felt is there to: a. stop the slates or tiles lifting in strong winds. b. stop all the filth accumulating in your loft space (several tons of dust in the 1903 terrace loft space that I hoovered out a few years ago.)

(Ok, it may provide some marginal insulation by reducing the rate of air change in your loft.)

Reply to
Jan Wysocki