Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
We are just starting the planning stage of our new kitchen and are
struggling to find a decent green/ethical worktop material that:

a) doesn't cost a fortune
b) isn't made from unsustainable wood
c) isn't granite shipped from Brazil / China / India
d) is relatively low maintenance and not easily burned/marked
e) won't look out of place in a traditional/shaker kitchen in a
Victorian terraced house

Tall order I know, but can anyone recommend anything?

Andy
--
Andy Kirkland
http://ebay.andykirkland.co.uk

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:55:03 +0100, Andy Kirkland

Anyone on <http://www.fsc-uk.org/ any use?
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
Isn't cheap, but welsh slate fits the other requirements.
www.berwynslate.co.uk

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
European hardwoods (where most forestry is sustainable) - e.g. oak,
beech etc.

Reclaimed hardwoods e.g. old school laboratory benches, planks recut
and made up into new boards.

Tropical hardwoods with traceability to sustained forestry (though
many of the assurance schemes are undermined/abused).

Locally quarried stone.

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops

Slate or tiles of some kind?

Welsh and Cornish slate are possibles

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops

You may find something at an architectural salvage place.

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:55:03 +0100, Andy Kirkland

Tile the work surface.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
I was thinking tiles, but then thought of all the nasty chemicals used
for glazes etc.

Steel is probably fairly green, in that it's probably recycled and can
be re-recycled.

Owain

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:49:39 +0100, Owain

You mean like sand?

Why is it that greenery and profound ignorance always seem to march
hand in hand?
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops

That can be fixed with a good sloshing of seawater.

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
I was thinking more of the pigments etc, like the various compounds of
titanium and chromium. Even if theyr'e naturally occurring, mining,
processing and transporting them aren't "green"

I think that's a little harsh; I was only trying to make some helpful
suggestions and observe that what at first sight appears green might not
be.

On the upside, Italian scientists have found that titanium dioxide
"eats" smog.

Owain

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:43:51 +0100, Owain

I was feeling particularly grumpy :-)

Nothing is.  There was some idiot on TV recently building his
ecohovel and you could barely see it for smoke from chain saws.
Greenies like simple things, so the latest fad is "food miles".  Not
the more complicated but more relevant fuel per kg of food delivered,
that involves thinking; just nice simple and wrong "distance is bad"
(unless you are going to a green conference in the Bahamas).

The idea that you can be part of the modern world but by hugging a
tree and signing up to vapid "ethical" and "green" mantras not leave
blobs of grot over it is asinine.

What's more (while I'm at it!) the buggers breed like flies.  Every
"green" house seems to be infested with a dozen brats.  Why can't
these twits understand their breeding habits will do far more harm
and produce far more CO2 than their transport choices?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2132089,00.html

Re: Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
mused:

Awful idea.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
I'm told epoxy grout works well for kitchen tiled tops.

NT

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops

Recycling is very green - look in salvage yards.
Otherwise Stainless steel, glass, or locally sourced hardwood.
Robert

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
Not well enough IME... PITA stuff to work with as well!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
Rubberwood?  It uses wood from rubber trees that have been felled
before replanting the rubber plantation, thus would otherwise be
wasted.  We have rubberwood worktops and they have worn very well,
they are several years old now and still look good and we are not the
most careful of users.

--
Chris Green

Re: Green / Ethical Kitchen Worktops
Porcelain tiles. Use epoxy grout. You may of course have to investigate
where the tiles were made, cheap ones may come from the far east etc.

--
djc

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread