Green Deal closed

If its done correctly you don't pay more.

This was an additional grant to get people to use the green deal. You got a few hundred pounds towards the improvement even if you didn't take the loan part. It replaced previous grants that you could get for some improvements.

You have always had to use approved installers, its supposed to cut down on fraud.

Reply to
dennis

The loan terms were that you had the improvement done and the repayments were added to the electric bill, but, the repayments never exceeded the savings so your bill stayed the same or fell. After the set period the payments stopped and you were deemed to have paid it off even if you had not.

The additional bribe just made it a no brainer, which is why they suddenly had a rush as people realised what it was.

Reply to
dennis

The loan terms ARE (they are still available)

They never exceed the saving made by an average occupier (I presume, of that type/size of property).

They will go up if you are a lower than average user of fuel for that type of property (if for example, you saved money by only heating the rooms that you use and under occupied the property).

As the amount paid per month is calculated to fully pay off the loan, and will always be added each month to the fuel bill it will always be paid off in full. There is no write off possible here

agreed

from the subset who noticed it

tim

Reply to
tim.....

On top of that, it was not possible to pay it off early without paying an early redemption penalty, which made moving house very expensive (as no one will buy a house which still has repayments outstanding). However, government have just recognised this and new loans can be paid off early without a large penalty, although this change is not backdated to loans which have already been taken out.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Exactly there was no guarantee that the savings made would be greater than or equal to the additional loan payback. The loan payments are based on averages for that property type/size, I'm not sure if they took into account occupancy.

No guarantee that it'll do anything, fall rise or stay the same.

But the GDHIF is *not* the Green Deal Finance package which is still available (should anyone be daft enough) and is the loan paid back by a levy on the elctricty bill for the property.

The GDHIF was a grant with very few strings attached as far as I can make out now. You could still take a GDF package to make up the shortfall between the garnt and actual cost but you could equally use your own savings and/or personal loan.

There was a sudden rush as DECC said the take up was very good and the average GDHIF grant was rather higher than expected (£6,000 ish) and the available monies were thus running out faster than anticipated. So those in the know bunged in their applications PDQ just in case the funds ran out.

Not in that subset ...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But why do I need a Green Deal Assesment? I know were the heat is going, out with the drafts around the non-double glazed windows and doors. Soild walls here and there but most have now been lined with

50 mm of celotex. (At our expense), lofts are well insulated.

Offer 1, 75% or cost or £6,000, minimum of 50% external solid walls insulated.

Offer 2, £1,000 ish for any two from a reasonable list of things.

Now as the average claim is approx £6,000 it looks to me as if DECC have *seriously* under estimated how many properties have solid walls. Round here I'd say 75% or more have solid walls.

If you were eligable, ie pensioner on certain benefits.

Fortunately you can choose your installer. Unlike previous schemes were you got the work done via the scheme by which ever cowboy as available that week. Neighbours had CH installed under the Warm Front scheme, installers came from 100 miles away, managed to drill an existing pipe ruining sofa and carpet, leading to big argument about who was going to pay/insurance etc, all pipe work surface run...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My father had CH by warm front.

They took the floor boards up and ran the pipes under the floor. All the drops were in pipe trunking.

Well done IMO.

Certainly not cowboys.

But as you say there are some cr@p plumbers out there hiding amongst the good ones.

Reply to
dennis

Because you don't know (without doing a lot of research) how much eliminating each of those things will save you

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I don't think you *did* need one, just that you could have claimed an extra £100 back if you had one.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, you need a GDA less than 2 years old to "prove" that the works you are claiming for are required.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

One could get a reasonable guesstimate by playing with the various radiator sizing heatloss programs.

I'm not overly convinced that the average Green Deal Assessor really understands what they are supposed to be doing. They just plug the property details into the software on their laptop/tablet and press "print". There might be some out there that do understand and can cope with buildings of mixed and/or non-standard construction but when you can become a "qualified" assessor by paying a few hundred quid on a course lasting just a few days. Then charge £150 + per assesment and do maybe 4/day... A proper assessment should take at least half a day if not the best part of a whole day IMHO for a building that isn't a recent "Barret Box".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

OK, I remembered reading you could claim the £100, so thought the GDA was optional - actually it is optional because you can do the work on the basis of a GDA *or* an EPC (either of which needed to be

Reply to
Andy Burns