Great DIY disasters - a late entry

Following up the thread on this of a couple of weeks back - here's a cracker from this morning's paper (you'll need to buy a hard copy to see the pictures unfortunately...)

Lobster

weight of the thatch was too much for it - or that work had been undertaken on it which weakened something. "

ATM it seem that it's only one of many possibilities, It would be nice if it was a 'DIY' induced problem, otherwise the next door properties could have problems too....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I'm not registered with The Times and I can see it online.

Eeek.

Reply to
Grant

move away and it will have one fewer village idiot.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It was a listed building and he may have done it on purpose in order to be able to rebuild it as something bigger/better ?

Reply to
Fray Bentos

I suggest the real 'village idiots' read the story rather than just assume...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

improvers:

John

Well, its certainly listing now! ;)

Reply to
Paul King

A high risk strategy in more than one way. He could be compelled to rebuild it to the former condition. It will be interesting to hear if he needed, and actually had, permission for what he was doing

Reply to
Peter Crosland

What a shame :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah - so can I, now: it's obviously been added in during the morning!

Reply to
Lobster

It looks a pretty amazing collapse. There seems to be little rubble, so perhaps the walls were clay lump? That can collapse disastrously like that if water seeps in. Perhaps the thatch had become porous?

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Or Insurance........... Baz

Reply to
Baz

If I hear anything, I'll let you know. It's about 2 miles from where I am currently sitting!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Did you feel the Earth move?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

it was covered in the "Metro" free rag today - here's a larger, but rather poor scan I just did :-

(600kb)

says he only removed some stud walls ....

would this have been of "cob" construction ?

Reply to
brugnospamsia

Oh! I get "The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer."

Only???

We can't see, can we!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"brugnospamsia" wrote | it was covered in the "Metro" free rag today - here's a larger, but | rather poor scan I just did :- |

(600kb) | says he only removed some stud walls .... | would this have been of "cob" construction ?

I think those 'stud walls' probably were structural timber post and beam.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

looks like everyone wanted a look...

I'll know not to do that again.

time to rent myself some decent webspace !

Reply to
brugnospamsia

No doubt!

Think the real problem was it was such a big file at 600K - relatively few viewings would have quickly cranked up your quota. With a low res image like that, you could have easily got away with reducing it to about 10K, with no discernable difference!

David

Reply to
Lobster