Grease/cleaning

I have just finished painting the kitchen and earlier, while up the step ladders cleaning the walls with sugar soap i noticed grease on top of the kitchen cupboards. I could not get this stuff of and informed SWMBO that when i work out how to get this stuff of she should put paper or something up there in future so it can just be thrown away. But first i have get it of, i have tried sugar soap, soapy water and other cleaning stuff in the cleaning cupboard but nothing shifts it, not even a scraper because it is to greasy. Any one have any ideas or might just have to get the angle grinder on it tomorrow. Thanks, Tom

Reply to
Tom

Why should 'she' put paper up there? Why not you?

Reply to
OG

I suppose you have a point, seeing as i will be cleaning them anyway!

Reply to
Tom

Don't cook with 'vegetable' oil in future. Imagine what that crap's doing to your innards if you can't get it off laminate.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Pressure washer. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

I use normal kitchen spray cleaner - Flash or whatever. But I do it every 3 / 4 months. Imagine the smell if you don't. Have tried paper but prefer to keep it clean.

Reply to
John

Hagesan HG Grease Away will shift it in one or two applications (doesn't have to dry out between applications).

Obtainable from Lakeland but cheapest on the web, Eg.

Derek Geldard

The problem is much the same with any other kind of cooking fat.

Reply to
Bruce

Cillit Bang Universal Power Cleaning Crystals & a microfibre cloth. Leaving it to soak for a short while helps.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Cloth and cream cleaner, but the water on teh cloth must be at boiling point

NT

Reply to
NT

not even a scraper because it is to

Too greasy? You mean it's just spreading when you scrape? Talcum powder can help it form into a manageagble 'paste'. Or try a solution of biological washing powder - strong and hot.

Reply to
Simon C.

In message , Tom wrote

I use a cheap Multi-Action cleaner from Aldi. I too, in the past, have tried various forms of washing up liquid, clothes detergent or wonder all purpose cleaners without much success.

The Aldi own brand liquid (Power Force) is very thin (water with a wetting agent consistency). Wipe on leave for around 30 seconds and wipe off. It may need more than one application but it doesn't require any elbow grease to complete the task.

It doesn't remove burnt of grease.

Reply to
Alan

Did you try one of them plastic scrapers that take Stanley blades ..used for scraping excess paint round window frames etc . Would painting on Swarfega after you get the most of it off work ?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

A terpene-based cleaner might do it. Ecover makes (made?) one and, neat, it'll move most things.

Ghee is the worst thing. My last GF rented a house that had been occupied by an Arabian (app.) doctor and the deposit would have proofed a yacht dor a decade!

Reply to
PeterC

I disagree. Processed vegetable oil vapour sets to an extremely hard and resistant brown gum on most surfaces. I find animal fats much easier to remove.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I had exactly the same problem. (Cause: my being too lazy to clean the tops for the previous couple of years. I like your idea of putting paper up there.)

The answer is very simple and has three stages:

(a) Use your paintscraper to bulldoze the gunge into wads that you can wipe up using kitchen roll.

(b) Then use white spirit to clean the surfaces properly: white spirit is magic on kitchen grease. Don't pour it on the cupboards! Pour it on kitchen roll, which you use to dissolve and wipe up the grease.

(c) Finally clean up using any normal kitchen spray cleaner, to clean away the residue of the white sprit and to leave a nice smell.

And then like you suggested put paper on top, and you (we) won't ever have to do it again.

Cheers John

Reply to
Jonelle

Actually if you ask folk of a certain vintage they will tell you that putting paper up on top of kitchen cupboards is not exactly knew ..same as was putting greaesproof paper on cupboard shelves .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

That is allowed. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Try good old fashioned washing soda in very hot water. It's magic for grease and very cheap also.

Pete

Reply to
petek

Thanks for all your replies, i'll give wite spirit a try tomorrow as i have some in the garage...if that doesnt work i will get some Cillit Bang.

Reply to
Tom