Gray water for irrigation

I have heard (and this may be entirely apochryphal) that the water companies do aerial surveys, and those with green gardens during hosepipe bans may get a visit to be asked why...

Reply to
Huge

Hosepipe ban is simply a convenient handle for the media. All forms of automatic watering systems are also included. Usually you can still use grey water, but only by using it to fill a watering can etc.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Yup:

(Good series BTW)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

nightjar Hosepipe ban is simply a convenient handle for the media. All forms of

Including stored rainwater supplied through a trickle irrigation system on a timer? I wouldn't be surprised - this is sufficiently stupid to make it onto the statute books - but do you have a reference for the official text.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Doesn't apply to rainwater. Does apply to water supplied to you and water you extract from a well/borehole/stream, even if you already used it once for some other purpose (and hence it's now regarded as gray).

Can't point you to a statute, but this is what a note from Three Valleys Water said in the late 1980's when we had a hosepipe ban for a few years in a row (and they had to keep refunding my hosepipe license fee).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That isn't grey water.

The bit of paper Southern Water stuck through my door last time around.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I'm looking forward to this, our lawn is sown with Abernile.

Reply to
Stephen Gower

Wossatthen?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

nightjar >Including stored rainwater supplied through a trickle irrigation system on

Thanks (and thanks Andrew as well). That makes it clearer. I think.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

'm+Feeling+Lucky

Reply to
Stephen Gower

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Plugging the bathroom outflow into the garden's inflow.

All you need to do it take a section out of the downspout before it joins the main drain. If this happens on the outside wall it is a simple job that won't cost more than a few quid in plastic pipe. (Water butts are a lot more of course.)

It might be worth thinking about if we are in for a few of these summers. If we are at the start of a bad dought cycle and it doesn't hit the peak of the other end of spectrum for another 15 years, that indicates about 7 years or so of dry summers. It would be an investment if there is a re-run of the late 1970's. (IIRC.)

From two full containers you'd get:

2900 liter =

637.9108201 gallon [UK] =

0.0282128 acre-inch (or if the garden is about 1/10th of an acre you will have enough to give it all 1/4 inch.)

is actually plenty for a week or so.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

In my lifetime (from 1950) we have had dry summers, wet summers and summers that were a bit of both.

I can';t say that I have seen any discernible pattern, although the winters seem warmer than they were - far less frost about.

And as I write, the lightning is flashing over teh horizon. End of THAT dry spell for a day or so I suspect.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Michael Mcneil