Gravel around house

Hi,

Our seven year old house has approx six inches of gravel around the edge of the house, all the way around.

I've seen this on quite a few newer houses and wondered if there was a particular reason for it being there or if it's merely decorative?

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon

So the rain will soak up most of its downpour

Reply to
George

Huge

Can we have that again, in English, please.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

If you had soil against the house wall the rain would splash it up the wall and it would look unsightly. Shingle prevents this. I doubt very much it would be for drainage on a seven year old house.

mark

Reply to
mark

And at dead of night you might hear folk approaching your house.

Reply to
nobodyhome

Apparently burglars don't like it because they cannot make a quick silent getaway.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Any burglar incapable of avoiding a 6" strip of gravel is going to spend rather more time staring at 6'x6' walls than actually nicking stuff.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Too true,they don't walk up the sides of the stairs for nothing. ;-)

Reply to
George

It's not, it's bone-idleness on behalf of the groundworkers who couldn't be arsed cutting flags / block paving to fit around all the gulleys and pipes etc.

Reply to
Phil L

Litter tray for all of the neighborhood cats? :)

Reply to
Steve Rainbird

as well as damp gravel will slow down plants like ivy from rooting too near and damaging the house like they have done to mine!

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Ammunition for the local brats to throw.

Reply to
<me9

With this post I most certainly agree gravel stops horrid plants like ivy from being so bold and getting a hold and making the house look just like a tree

Reply to
Phil L

The message from Jon contains these words:

Some friends of mine paid a small fortune to have quartz gravel laid around their house, which is in the middle of nowhere. Apparently the noise it makes when trodden on is a burglar deterrent... and yes, it is very noisy!

Reply to
Anne Jackson