Grass/weeds in gaps on block paving due to stupidity

Hi all, Thanks in advance for any replies.

About 2-3 years ago I had block paving installed on my drive and when it first went down it looked so clean and bright and pink that I stupidly brushed soild over it to dull the colour down.

Because of this stupid act I now have to practically mow the drive :(

I have tried weed killer etc but beacuse the soil is there they keep coming back. What can I do to get the soil out from beween the gap, are the are tools for doing this etc so I can put sand down again. I have considered using a power washer on it but dont what push the so soil in deeper.

Any advice given is appreciated. Thanks Steve

Reply to
sbb

Don't beat yourself up over the soil thing :-)

I have a nice crop of lobelia coming up between my slabs, which are thriving in 6" of rubble and sharp sand. IME plenty of things will grow in nothing but sand because it holds moisture well without getting waterlogged.

Reply to
stuart noble

I would go over it with a sodium chlorate weedkiller but bear in mind it's toxic to animals. And oomans. Glyphosate is safer but only works on growing leaves, and slowly at that.

Alternatively, white vinegar is supposed to be a good weedkiller, and cornmeal prevents weed seeds rooting but I don't suppose you'd want to be brushing that all over your drive.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Petrol,do it frequently for about twice a day over a weeks period.

Reply to
George

Best idea yet.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Thanks all for all your replies, think setting the drive alight is a bit over kill but guess could wait till Nov 5th to disguise it a bit ;) Wont all the weeds grow back tho, is there no way of removing the dirt etc so the weeds/grass cant root.

Thanks aga> George wrote:

Reply to
sbb

No dear,arson doesn't apply. :-P

Reply to
George

MTST is a convicted arsonist and will set alight to anything given the chance.

Reply to
George

Burn baby burn.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Thanks again all, Went out and got some sodium chlorate and will scrape out all the paving weed tool I also bought frm B&Q. Alas they did not sell petrol.

Reply to
sbb

Suit yourself but a council worker that does the weedkilling for a living told me petrol and said "any stuff you can purchase out of the sheds is money being poured down the drain". The chemical the council use is not available to joe public.

oh! hum.

Reply to
George

why use chlorate when you can use chloride. Non toxic, far cheaper, and you dont need to go out to get it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Toxic generally better!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Good advice.

You can buy white vinegar in 5 litre containers from places like Costco and Makro.

Brushing cornmeal is no worse than brushing sand. It has a fairly strong yellow colour but that shouldn't be a problem if just the right amount is used.

Personally, I would go for sodium chlorate.

Reply to
Bruce

Ah that lovely stuff that kills the grass and lets the annuals flourish!

Reply to
Mogga

Disco Inferno, Trammps, 1977. Do I win a prize?

John

Reply to
John

Yes. All the sodium chlorate you can eat.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot