Granite countertop joints / tile grouting.

Hello.

Does anyone know anything about the material used to fill the joint between two separate pieces of a granite countertop to give it the seamless look? Is it some sort of wax?

Also, for black granite tiles, what sort of grouting would be used? Can it be had in black?

I know next-to-nowt of such things, so thanks in advance for any information.

Cheers,

Roger Melly.

-- conkersack yahoo com

Reply to
conkersack

Worktop jointing compound. Probably just a mix of coloured silicon. Around £6 per small tube from kitchen suppliers. I didnt realise, but many granite worktops are not screwed/fixed down, they are held in place by a silicon bead around the kitchen unit top, and against the wall.

Grout is available in many colours. Screwfix sell the Mapei range in around 10 colours.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

If you're using ordinary mix yourself powdered grout, you can add some black emulsion paint.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My supplier gave me a some form of 2 part epoxy resin made by a german company, they also coloured it for me - make sure you've got the biscuit joints in the right place, and make sure that the resin goes into them.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

Has anyone had any experience of using electrical epoxy potting compound to fill joins in black granite worktops? In theory, it should be possible to polish this to match the granite exactly.

Acrylic or silicone filler will provide a colour match but will always be slightly flexible and will not take a polish.

Roger.

Reply to
Roger Wareham