Grand Designs Watertower conversion Lambeth

Magnificent. I even liked the owners, and that's saying something.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The tower itself was OK - but the glass thing by the side was, as so often, hideous, I'm afraid.

Reply to
polygonum

It seemed to avoid most of the pitfalls, although I'm not a fan of glass balconies/mezzanines. The lift looked a bit tight though.

I was wondering how they got away with only one staircase for escape, but a google suggests the tower is sprinklered.

I wonder if it wobbles when trains run underneath?

If I had any friends willing to lend half a million I might do something similar.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, truly astonishing... even if its not your personal taste, you can't help being somewhat wowed by it.

Yup, if he could bottle some of that get up and go, he would have it paid for in no time ;-)

Makes you wonder what it must be worth now. I could quite easily see someone being prepared to pay obscene amounts of money to buy it now.

Reply to
John Rumm

I hope they move out before one of them needs a wheelchair.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I wonder if one would fit in that lift?

Still not that it would help much since it does not go all the way to the top floor.

Reply to
John Rumm

You already have the other =A31.5M?

Reply to
harry

No, but I'm in Scotland. Things are cheaper up here.

And I'd not spend so much on kitchens and bathrooms.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You'll soon have your own economy, according to Alex Salmond's wishes.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

More like two million. As soon as I saw it I said, "That's a million quid job, total" but that wasn't including all the snags and finishing and cost overruns.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Someone really ought to take that bastard out and shoot him in the head.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The sad thing is that might make him into a martyr and his gormless inbred deputy might take over.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Like Ireland, Iceland, Greece, Italy .........

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Just got round to watching the recording; I agree.

Whereas I really liked it. It was clearly modern, but to my eyes, it fitted well with the original (completely unlike the boat house by the sides of the Thames in the previous episode - OK as a standalone object, but really oppressive for the neighbours.)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I rather liked it too. Couldn't help but think of Trellick Tower with its separate lift shaft. They certainly weren't afraid to throw money at the project - it clearly makes a lot of problems disappear.

Chris J Dixon

The Thames boathouse started out as something that potentially might be very good but ended up looking like a few stacked mobile homes mainly due to the expensive but naff cladding and the boxy look.

The rest of the properties around it looked like shit anyway so it blended in very well. It was one tiny step away from the gothic arch galvanised sheet houseboat.

Reply to
The Other Mike