Grand Designs

Page 1 of 2
Pity no-one advised them to hedge against the Euro ...
On 29 Jan 2004 12:46:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Indeed ... given the sums involved, I'm sure that they could have arranged a forward deal based on the exchange rate at time of contract (for a fee, of course, but presumably a lot less than the 45K implied in the programme).
Apart from that, a good 1hr infomercial for Huf Haus! Given that there was none of the usual "... and, with only one week to go, the roofing timbers are still in Albania ..." problems that normally enliven Grand Designs, a little more background info would have been nice; for example, did they have any issues wrt to planning permission, building regs., etc. I've certainly had experience of planning officers and BCOs whose immediate response would have been "you can't build that foreign thing here".
Overall, I was seriously impressed by the results: not entirely to my personal tastes, but the result was infinitely preferable to the miles of "period style executive homes" that blight so much of the home counties. The efficiency of the build was something to behold -- will the construction industy in this country *ever* learn that this is possible, rather than the usual three blokes in a rusting transit who turn up 3 hours late (if you're lucky) and spend the next hour taking a tea break while reading the Racing Post ...?
Julian
--
Julian Fowler

On second thought, all they needed to do was open a euro denominated bank account at the time of placing the order and transfer the funds into it.

Quite. Not that I mind.

Agreed, on both counts.
Shame they had to pull their old house down. If this one only lasts 40 years too then it is costing 11K/year. Sounds a lot when you think about it...
Colin
Huge wrote:

I am sure I heard Kevin say the Euro had gone down in his intro to the subject.... or was that my imagination?
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

Yes, he got it wrong, and it didn't make sense.
--
Grunff

No, it wasn't. He got it the wrong way round.
On 29 Jan 2004 12:46:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Huge, the banks always win.
IME experience of buying currency forward it's expensive, there's a hefty premium on it, it's inflexible, and in our case ended up in us paying more in bank charges because we had an amount left over at the end of the contract so we had to make an additional payment earlier than we would have chosen to do.
DG

They have very well paid actuaries to ensure they make a profit whatever happens.
Christian.

This is untrue.

Since the programme said that the clients were funding the build from savings, they could simply have opened a euro bank account and deposited the money there ...
--
Julian Fowler

That is exactly what I thought during the program too. Especially as the total cost of the build (in Euros) was known from the start. -- David C
Julian Fowler wrote:

All depends which direction you bet the markets are going to move. If the euro had actually lost value, this way would have been bad news.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Why? I thought it was a fixed price contract.
No-one wrote:

It was but the price was fixed in euros so if sterling moves against the euro then the value they have to pay in sterling will change.
--
Take out the garbage to reply

Regards

But if they moved the money into a Euro account at the start the value in Euros wouldn't change. So they wouldn't have been short of money when payment time came. -- David C
David C wrote:

But the down side of this is that they forfeit the chance of paying less.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

And end up paying ten per cent more !!

Which is a game of chance most of British industry is fed up of playing. We need to either get into the Euro or Dollar zone soon before all our exporting manufacuring industry exports itself to Poland or China.

Then they need to sack their Treasury departments.