Grand designs

Apparently.

Reply to
EricP

You have freeview MrP?

Daily there is a program on called...UK Bright Ideas...sometimes quite informative.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

did I miss that? The house was on a gap site in a residential area, it repected the building line and didn't overdevelop the site, there appeared to be unexceptional buildings either side, and woods behind. What grounds would there be for refusal?

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Never watched it George. i will have a look now you have pointed it out. :))

Reply to
EricP

I watch it, it doesn't cater to my needs. If I took part in a survey, I would rip it to pieces. Why watch it then? I filter out all the crap and take on board the 30secs of inspiration it gives to fuel my project. I'm time rich!

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

The message from "." contains these words:

It's a 70s council terrace - nothing to write home about. It's the cost/benefit that gets me - this place cost 28k five years ago and has proved to be adequate for bringing up two kids and so on. For twenty times the price you don't get anything approaching twenty times the utility.

Reply to
Guy King

I suppose it's all relative, and you'll never know how wrong you are. I hope you're happy but do take the time to look up, occasionaly ;-)

Reply to
.

That's very true.

This house cost £2,400 in 1964. They're now selling for £160,000 +.

So what?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "TheScullster" saying something like:

When I had Sky I was glued to Bob Vila's programme and others. Most of it not directly applicable here, but certainly informative and sometimes eyebrow-raising about what the Merkins considered acceptable.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart saying something like:

Another box, I thought, but inside it was vaguely interesting.

What made me hoot, though, was the choice of outside paint colours.

The Blue and the Red.

Which were nothing more exotic than Battleship Grey and Red Lead in colour.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

If they just had the wit to make the box pent- or hexagonal or somesuch, they could double their vista in each room.

As for the acres of beige. All houses need time to dry and until then it is best to use trade magnolia or whatever. The paint is cheap and acts as a size for the good stuff later on.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You are thinking of the wrong house.... this was the woodsmans cottage that was built in the middle of protected woodland - nothing round it for miles it seemed:

John Rumm

The message from "." contains these words:

Oh, I've lived in all sorts of houses, from Victorian two-up/two-downs with soggy soil under the floor to five bedroom detatched jobs with a couple of acres of nice gardens. This place suits me just fine.

Reply to
Guy King

Hmmm. Yup - that's one possibility. The other possibility is that you are a c*ck who likes winding people up. Which is fair enough I supppose if that's what does it for you.

Why did I bother replying to a troll. I should have known better.... note to self. From now on don't reply to known trolls.

Reply to
Fitz

Yes, he/she is well known, check Google groups and see how many friends he/she has. But hey, it's freedom of speech, right ? One doesn't have to be popular to get through this life. Only if one wants friends, a social life, a partner etc.

Chips.

Reply to
Chips

How much do they cost?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Was it just me, or did anyone watch last night's project (involving the conversion of a concrete water tower) whilst thinking that demolition, preferably using explosives, would have been a better starting point? They got a futuristic house with a hideous concrete lump in the middle of it.

What is the obsession with converting the most unsuitable barn, shed, tank, pig-pen, etc., into accomodation? Has anyone converted a gas holder yet?

Reply to
Aidan

I rather liked the end result and can't see anything wrong in wanting to live in an unusual house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Gas holder - brilliant idea! You could raise the roof - literally...

Reply to
Phil

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I've always wanted a house cut into a steep chalk-slope. Sloping glass windows onto a slight patio overlooking the Darenth valley, rest of the house cut into the hillside with access from above via stairs/lift.

Reply to
Guy King