Grade II properties, electrics and woodworks

Page 2 of 2

<Large quantity of waffle snipped>
Like I said there is a choice - if you want what you seem to be arguing for there is Milton Keynes. Thankfully through listing some of our heritage will be preserved (for as long as possible at least). There is little to separate us from Americans already - remove our heritage and history and there will be nothing !

Too late - the listers have got there first.

Some buildings are worthy of preservation - half a million of them, including gasometers, Nissen huts and numerous decaying concrete heaps are not.

If that was really the case, and the character of the country rested solely on the artificial preservation of ratted old buildings then we would indeed be nothing.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Peter Parry wrote:

Even more to the point, jow many of todays really great houses would exist of listing had been prevalent 500 years ago?
Not a single one. They are all adapations and extensions involving serious remodelling and demolition. They kepyt teh good bits and trashed the stuff they didn'tr want.
Result. Organically evolving properties with REAL history.
The whole listing fiasco needs a damned good looking at IMHO.
Andy Farrall wrote:

No. Read the small print. You are under no obligation to repair a listed building, only to repair to a standard IF you repair AT ALL.
Many listed building are being lost precisely because of this catch 22 situation.

Well, the latter bit's true; don't buy a listed building.

What a nice tolerant person you are when it comes to other people's property.
James Salisbury wrote:

Replacement will NOT be permitted. Repair will be. Where could you get a replacement widow anyway? :-)

I would say rip it all out, install a proper modern external meter box and new tails, and talk to the listing peple about what is permitted externally.

all
Not so I have replacement sash windows in the same style of the old ones . No proplem with the listing people at all.
The problems seem to be when an area only has a few listed buildings and normally for no reason other than age the LBO is a bit over zelous. Here they have far to much on being a world heritige site, AONB, and conservation area. They are more worried about decent listed buildings not the rest of the chaf.
Ian

and
replaced 3