Grab adhesives

Got off rather lightly this year with Christmas/New Year DIY emergencies. Bathroom pull switch packed up (30 years old and it had been opened a couple of years ago to get it working again). Trouble was it had been fitted using gravity toggles above the plaster ceiling and access above would be tricky. So I returned to Toolstation and from the wide array of grab adhesives stocked, I chose Stixall based on the previous recommendations of this group. Certainly gets my vote! The replacement MK switch is a lot louder than the old one (also been noted here), but feels tougher in its action and is good for 16A instead of 6A according to the markings.

Reply to
Part Timer

Am I right? You stuck a pull switch up with Stixall?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Something I will have to tackle soon - one of the two screws seems to be failing to hold in its plasterboard plug. Can't remember what make our switch is - not MK - and surprisingly much quieter than the one it replaced. But your comment makes me wonder quite how much lighting you have in there! I can't imagine needing more than 1 amp.

Reply to
polygonum

FFS just get some screws long enough to hit the floor above. That's the way to bodge it:-)

Reply to
ARW

?

Will the not ush out of the way to accept new fixings in the same holes?

Yep - modern switches (MK at least) can be very noisy.

BTW Pink Grip is good too, though it does not have so much "grab" it's bloody strong when it sets.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Double sided sticky tape was good enough for Lesley Judd...

Besides, in 20 years, someone will come along and ask how to remove it and Frank can lead a full chorus of

Angle Grinder!

;->>>

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have one of those halogen desk top lamps (they were flogging them in the local Lidl a few weeks ago -around the time I broke mine. =A35:00.) So I tried something of that sort (no idea what brand name.)

Work perfectly. Only I wish I had put extra ballast in there with it along with the ballast.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I just tried the =A31 poundland version. It does work, but the amount of gr= ab/support seemed a bit low, but enough for the job.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

grab/support seemed a bit low, but enough for the job.

er... MS polymer adhesive for a =A31 ? how big a tube?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Either that or dismantling the old one and soaking the bits in WD40 ;-) It hasn't parted company with the ceiling yet.

Reply to
Part Timer

16A is MK's claim. I have 112W connected.
Reply to
Part Timer

f grab/support seemed a bit low, but enough for the job.

Standard 380ml cart. Grab adhesives are acrylic, so cheap as chips.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

of grab/support seemed a bit low, but enough for the job.

ah but Stixall isn't acrylic or chip cheap, v good stuff tho, you should try it

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I'm impressed!