Govt banning lightbulbs.... wot about halogens?

You said £50 in the previous post...make up your mind.

Yes, but (even if your figures are true and not like the "£40/year if you don't use standby on the TV" lie), it's not such a saving if the service (light, etc.) is inferior and you actually need to use a higher wattage CFL than the 'recommended' to compensate. And a bulb failure is also a significant expense (e.g. mechanical damage).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Depends. It was a fairly cutting remark.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Except that this is not the complete picture because it doesn't account for the heat contribution made by filament bulbs.

All of that would assume that people actually *want* to have CFL lamps as opposed to being forced not to have filament bulbs.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In summer, the lighting is used much less because of longer daylight hours , so that is irrelevant. The actual amount involved in comparison with the overall energy consumption for a house is negligible.

Larger amounts of lighting and for longer periods are used downstairs in houses. The heat contribution from this will be distributed to the first floor.

Reply to
Andy Hall

So have I - in my case, electric heating panels embedded in the ceiling. This was in a domestic dwelling with an inverted 'V' -shaped ceiling (very trendy).

The issue is stratification - if there is no air circulation, the air nearest the ceiling gets rather warm, while down at skirting board level it's darn cold. Fans can solve that quite easily.

The heat flow from radiators is mostly convection anyway - the hot air rises and hits the ceiling pretty quickly. One relies on turbulent flow to mix the uprising warm air with descending cold air. Obviously, radiators do radiate as well, and funnily enough, so do lamps.

Sid

Reply to
unopened

PRICE and COST. What it COSTS to generate and distribute electricity bears little relationship to what PRICE customers are prepared to pay. A glass of water in a downpour will not command the PRICE such a glass of water would command in a desert drought. [BTW; amongst the COST of producing electricity from gas-fired generators is the unfortunate characteristics of Carnot's graphs.]

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

That's not so far out.

A 20 watt CFL costs me £18.17 per year to run for an average of 3 hours per night. Ergo it would save £36.34 per year over a 60 watt GLS. 12 -18 months is about the lifetime I get.

It is the performance issues that concern me.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

This is, of course, a lie.

Reply to
Huge

Garbage. You need more of them because they're dimmer than the manufacturers claim and they don't last anything like as long. By the time you take the increased manufacturing and disposal costs into account, I wouldn't be surpised if the "saving" isn't marginal.

Reply to
Huge

Needs to be sunny, and probably needs to be early evening, a set of circumstances that may not occur for a while :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I'm not like Wedgie Benn's lad, that's for sure ...

"University of Sussex where he graduated in Russian and East European Studies"

I Graduated 1969 with a degree in electronics. Same lectures as the "Light Current Electrical Engineering" (in the nomenclature of the time) course, so Elec. Eng, really.

Worked since 1987 on super high intensity illumination systems for medical applications, before that on Nuclear Imaging, and then on Fluorescence Activated Cell Sorting. More recently on reducing failures of our own proprietory high frequency solid state dimmable ballasts in some adverse conditions.

HTH then.

Now, back to Wedgie Benn's lad ...

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Is it? I'm not an advocate for CFL usage, but if they really do last 15,000 hours, and my 20W CFL is the same (light output) as a 60W filament, then it should be possible to save 60kWh (60-20 * 15). Am I being brainwashed?!

Reply to
Grumps

IME they don't. I've had 2 fail in much less than that. That's quite enough to put me off them.

To an extent, yes. Isn't it called "greewash", though?

Reply to
Huge

The carton of the GE 20w "Energy Saving Elegance" lamp I have before me only even claims 6,000 hours. It does OTOH claim that its 20w CFL is equivalent to a 100w GLS.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

But there is also a change in the cost here, very much equal to the change in the price. So what have you proved?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

My Philips carton says 12 years (15,000 hrs) and 20W (equivalent to 100W). But they state the lumen output of 1200, but I thought a 100W GLS was 1700 lumen.

Also, stated on the carton, it says 240V 140mA. Is this still 20W?

Reply to
Grumps

1,750 acording to :

>Also, stated on the carton, it says 240V 140mA. Is this still 20W? > Presumably it's RMS so is nearer 30. (29.6)

Another can of worms. It looks like they may be only including the burning current of the lamp in their wattage, and conveniently forgetting the losses in the ballast.

A crock of s**te, they are.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Clive Jenkins old Union. That's a thought to conjur with.

For years I've said Leeds was rusty bike territory. The Labour party puts up a rusty bike at the election and all the Labour voters come out and vote for it.

Now we have proof.

Benn has no connection with the constituency whatsoever, went to school in Holland Park, Sussex University to do "Russian and East European studies".

I'll never criticise Leeds Met again for it's Pizza-ology course.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

The family -which doesn't beieve in the heridatory priciple?-- is now trying to get the seventeen year old Emily Sophia Wedgewood Benn elected as the member of Parliament for East Worthing and Shoreham at the next general election!

Her 'blog' reads of helping Tone (Antony Wedgewood) Benn and his son Hilary elected

According tto the local press if Gordon calls for a general election _real soon_ she'll just qualify for a vote and election. What this says about the (nu) Labour strength in East Worthing and Shoreham (EWAS) that there's no better prospective candidate is left as an exercise for the readers.

Brian Sharrock

AIUI; the 'life' quoted is the LD=50 attainment; - one hundred bulbs are lit and the number of expirations is counted; when fifty have been extinguished that's the hours (life) count that's quoted.

_You_ MIGHT be lucky and purchase one that'll survive for the life quoted ... but forty-nine other purchasers out of a hundred won't be so lucky!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock