Government cash for burning wood?

A friend of the wife tells us they have installed a £14,000 wood burning boiler for their house and workshop for which they get a government pay back based on how much heat they produce burning wood. Anyone heard of such a scheme? She described it as a massive installation, at that price so it should be!

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Renewable heat incentive, I didn't think they paid out yet but installations since last year will be eligible if they conform. If it's only GBP14k then I expect that is a pellet boiler as they are considerably cheaper to install.

I'm already seeing a crash in value of old woodchip boilers as people go for this and install new ones.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

"Only" £14K! How expensive are they normally?

This isn't like the dodgy insulation or solar panel scam is it where the company concerned overcharges and pockets all the grant money as extra profit?

Reply to
Mark

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mark saying something like:

Sure as shit is, over here.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Domestic pellet boilers cost about EUR 1400-2000 in Italy. Maybe twice that for one capable of storing enough pellets for a week.

You got it. The whole pellet stove business is a rip. The better designs burn wood chips that the owner makes from their own wood. For this though it's best if you own a lot of trees, a tractor and a chipper powered from the PTO. A large investment is needed. The price for pellets is amusing - the suppliers are making large profits.

My investment was £350 for a clone of a Stanley cooker with a back boiler.

Reply to
Steve Firth