Google sketchup

I'm not claiming it's perfect, but here's my kitchen plan done in sketchup

made "components" consisting of a base unit + run of worktop to allow positioning, also the tiles are to scale and you can "slip" the tiling along the walls to work out good positions ofr joins.

If you look at the outside wall you see a few "diagonal cracks" where I made the room exact to the nearest 5mm, including being out of square, this caused those cracks which I didn't notice until too late to undo.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We won't tell her if you don't!

Reply to
John Rumm

Forget it. Causes cancer. No need for the headache excuse any more.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But only if he inhales MDF dust when he's planing the edges though.

David

Reply to
Lobster

were there useable objects in the library?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I drew the wall, door, supports etc.

I found the hinge, screw/bolt/grey fixing thing, door handle, and pointy arrow in the online collection of objects.

The collections of pre drawn stuff could be better, I could not find anything that looked like an normal screw anywhere. No doubt that will improve with time as more stuff is shared.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not just MDF..

Reply to
Andy Hall

Unfortunately it seems you can't put anything other than image files on the wiki. (At least I couldn't upload a spreadsheet which I wanted to.)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yup, I see what you mean, One could cheat and rename it .jpg, but that would probably not help getting it back.

Perhaps that is a setting that Grunf can tweak?

If not I am happy to offer a directory on our web site for files like that. Then you can do an external url link to them.

Reply to
John Rumm

I just found the bonus packs. These are well worth downloading, the construction one in particular since there is lots of useful shapes in there.

Reply to
John Rumm

geta screenshot into a gif..?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can it not be uploaded somewhere?

Reply to
Tony

I /have/ uploaded it somewhere, which appears to be what you've taken issue with, but .skp files are documents not executables, come to think of it there are real-world example of viruses hidden in image and video files I could point you at, but none infecting CAD files I'm aware of.

I thought it might be appreciated as a DIY-relevant example of what I've achieved with sketchup, I've uploaded a couple of exported .png images from it.

they are each larger than the whole .skp file and are merely static images of a boring kitchen, you can't zoom and spin around anymore and learn anything about SketchUp from them. Because it's a whole room "plan" and not of a huge room it was difficult to pick a single good viewpoint, without the camera ending up "inside" the walls.

Anyone out of their tiny mind (or with anti-virus software installed) is still welcome to download the original file ;-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Sat, 12 May 2007 08:36:58 +0100, "Tony" mused:

Please tell me why I am not in my right mind?

Reply to
Lurch

On Sat, 12 May 2007 01:45:14 GMT, John Stumbles mused:

Print to file and convert to an image file?

Reply to
Lurch

When you have to draw objects that are not available in the (on line?) library, can you add them to the library for public use? If so I'll definitely take tho trouble to download and learn the program.

I see you added a texture to the door that went some way toward giving the impression of a grained surface. Is there much choice in that department? If I wanted to draw a specific door design could I go much further in making the grain effect more realistic, or are the texture fills fixed to a limited few?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Don't think so, you can publish an entire model so it's visible within Google Earth

You can import any bitmap, and give it a scale then it as a texture, there are a fair few standard ones included.

Reply to
Andy Burns

:-)

Another model I did, not bad for someone who would struggle to draw a breezeblock in AutoCAD.

Andy Burns

(Kind of puts my door to shame!)

One of the down loadable extension packs I found the other night has kitchen units and appliances in it. (I hav not yet checked to see if they are all American sizes though)

Probably find them in the real building if you look close ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Where do you think it is now then?

Reply to