Google Sketchup?

Has anyone here used Sketchup for semi-accurate modelling?

I ask because I've been giving it a whirl so as to get a better idea of what my options are for a house extension, and I'm very pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to bung in things like toilets and doors and stuff all to scale, and even get an idea of where sunlight's going to fall throughout the year.

Not having used any other 3D software though, I've got nothing to compare it to, but am curious if anyone else has used it in any way.

John

PS: For the uninitiated:

BlueJohn

Not for accuracy, and I find it's sometimes easy to "do something wierd" to your model and you need to backtrack to change it, but for a non-autocad user it's certainly easier to grasp.

For sketching out a single room the Ikea kitchen planner can be quite handy too

Andy Burns

Agreed it's not for accuracy (although I like the way you define your shape and just type in the measurements) - hence the "sketch" in the title I suppose.

Once I found out about grouping items together, things got easier because unless you group things they all pile up as one item and you end up having to back track as you describe.

I'm experimenting with the "walkthrough" functions at the moment, which are nice in order to get an idea about things like perceived space and balance. The shadow function has already helped me rule out some options on the placing of windows and other things (its shows me the kitchen not getting enough sun in winter, for example).

I'll take a look at that as well.

Reply to
BlueJohn

I've done an accurate full-plans application for a chapel conversion with sketch-up. Once you use a process of creating accurate component parts, sketch-up seems quite happy with them accurately placed.

I've not much previous experience with architectural cad, but a lot of years professional experience with electronics/chip design cad. So I guess I'm well disciplined about not allowing errors to creep into the model.

In the case of sketch-up that means, getting components accurately dimensioned (even if only a box outline, that will be edited to add more detail later), being very strict about making sure I'm working on the right layer and great care with construction lines so everything is placed where I think it is.

Generally I like the positioning inference (the snap-to-significant-point), but I would like a single key overide. Visual cues about which layer I'm working on would be good too.

It also seems to be possible to leave behind un-erasable artefacts if one component touches another - and then you try to transfer one component to a new layer. Seems to be a bug - and I haven't found any solution - other than "don't do that".

Reply to
dom

I've used it professionally for several years.

It is as accurate as you care to be - lines etc snap to end points or to other places on other elements, and when drawing a line if you just enter the length via the keyboard keys then the line will snap to that length - you won't get any more accurate than that.

It is worth checking out the online videos and tutorials.

AFAIK, the free version will not save to common CAD formats (ie dwg) for importing to other CAD software for final detailing and layout. Although it is possible to do proper 2d plans in Sketchup, it is very tedious and takes too long. Sketchup is really intended for conceptual design and visualisation.

dg

Reply to
dg

Free version will not save to anything but it's native format, nor will it print at higher than screen resolution (full version printouts are wonderfuly finely detailed).

Can you explain why you think sketch-up is not ideal for detailed 2D plans? I found that whilst it was time consuming capturing the detail of 3D components (e.g. a staircase), the pay off once it was done was great. How are other approaches better/quicker?

Reply to
dom

Perhaps the only serious reason for getting a Linux setup is to use a one off programme for free. I imagine it is worth learning the daft geekschpeak for one or two regularly used programmes that you can then migrate to a Windozer box.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Eh? Sketchup (both free and pro) is a Windows application. What are you on about?

Reply to
BlueJohn