Google Posters

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 16:23:07 +0100, Phil wrote (in article ):

For a minority perhaps.

It's the spawn of the Devil and accesses other than through a proper news client need to be discouraged,

If you are not careful it represents a slippery slope to Hades.

I would recommend reading The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis. This will set you on the straight and narrow.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 16:50:35 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote (in article ):

Using Google Groups other than as a search engine (of sorts) is ignorance.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 18:44:10 +0100, Weatherlawyer wrote (in article ):

Netiquette protocol is not to use an inappropriate access in the first place.

Bloody Johnny-come-latelies trying to hijack the best content

Reply to
Andy Hall

Wow! I wonder that was a response to Usenet-wide complaints!! :)

Reply to
Chris Bacon

One finds oneself warming to you GC.

Reply to
EricP

ITYM "Posting upside down and leaving reams of irrelevance trailing in the wake" ?

ITYM Some clueless and inconsiderate others leave reams of untrimmed irrelevance trailing in the wake?

I wanted to research the Windows Media Centre, so subscribed to the relevant group. Sadly I was unable to glean ANY useful information as it was impossible to work out the chronological order of things. This was purely because of the abundance of the upside down and untrimmed posting.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

That is also my rule. Unless the response at least STARTS on the same page, the article is skipped.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Some people only have access via Google - so go with the flow, Usenet is for everyone

Reply to
Rick Hughes

|> I am sick of seeing out-of-thread replies and searching for the main |> thread. |>

|> Just interested in DIY filtering techniques. :) | | |Some people only have access via Google

Everyone with their own machine can access a newsserver

| Usenet is for everyone

Who reads the primers and follows netiquette

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Oh, that's nice ;-)

I don't have a choice [in my break times ;)] at work. So I just got used to it.

In any case, I usually only post about things I know about !

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Is there a way that I can improve myself? I have already been slammed by one of your blokes, simply because of the difference in the way we use words and phrases.

PLEASE! IF THE PREVIOUS PARAGRAPH DOSEN"T MAKE ANY SENSE LET ME KNOW , AND I WILL MAKE THE NECESSARY CORRECTIONS!, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are a piece of work.....you and your precious usenet.........

If horses were wishes, Beggars would ride!

The only thing faster than light .....is your mind.........Sky.

Reply to
sky

Are you referring to the company that is the repository for the oldest posts on Newsgroups?

The one offering free international access to countries that are run by criminals against the will of the majority as well as the countries that would vote for criminals regardless.

The one who's access standards permit the fools who think they have posted anonymously without taking care that they have indeed done so, to be caught out in a simple "Find posts by this author" search?

Interesting take. Fool!

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

On 7 Jun 2006 04:25:29 -0700 someone who may be "Weatherlawyer" wrote this:-

A good description of the UK. Mr Liar is a criminal and the majority did not vote for him.

Reply to
David Hansen

No but the majority of the electorate never voted for anyone. At least they have the chance to vote him and his kind out.

But they might not bother as there isn't an exploitician who isn't appalling? It's just that after 5 or 6 years we forget how desperately evil we eventually realised the last lot was.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You aught to put your comments under those of the poster to whom your reply is addressed. Top posting confuses anyone trying to research a subject or even follow one a little late in the day.

You aught to include as much of the original as is necessary to give fellow readers some idea what you are talking about THe name and date of the previous post for example and the lines that have got your attention.

Anything not germaine aught to be removed, unless the previous posters' replies are also part of your comment.

If you are starting a topic, don't expect the readers to know what you are talking about if the subject is off topic. If it's OT say so in the title.

Don't post your query or comment in the title alone. Keep the title short and descriptive. You might want to find it later. If it's about tiling say so if it's about roofing make some sort of reference for future recall.

Don't reply to trolls unless youy are witty. A simple f*ck off will do occasionally if they get up your nose, then pointedly ignore them. Once they realise you are upset they will try and tailor their comments to annoy you.

You can annoy them by not even reading their carefully crafted workmanship.

DON'T SHOUT. Or use lots of exclamation marks. We will already know you are upset without you using them!!!!!!!

If you have a comment about the monkey ruling the USA it may be considered off topic. Besides he is a chimpanzee and apes are fair game.

Tory B Liar is a British bloody liar and as such is fair game, though try and keep it on topic if you care what other think of you. (Tip: Nobofy here is worth worrying about I assure you.)

One more thing, if you are looking to help serious posters, ignore threads over 12 posts long as they have been answered by then and are drifting off topic. Seriously long threads are maintained by fools who need caustic saddoeing.

If there is anything worth reading or following through on in them start your own thread and kill it if it makes it past 12 posts.

As for Google:

They had nice friendly warning signs in gentle red letters, recently indicating their beta was still a beta and about to get better.

Nowadays, the last poster is no longer credited by Google but the OP is named as the auther of the thread. I belive the psot no longer gets promoted to the top of the lidt of threads. How this will affect the archive remains to be seen.

The default reply box contains the words of the last poster. Start your relpy under that.

You can use the top reply box to get a little more control over what you want to do; for example, reply to the poster by e-mail or find out who the poster really is if that is possible. I am not sure what other changes have been made there.

You might want to investigate a text writer such as RoughDraft if you need help with spelling. It may also protect your hard worked essay in the event of what used to be called MOOFIES.

Most people will ignore poor spelling. Don't do it on purpose if you can help it. Don't be offended if someone jumps on you over it. They are so clever they forget there are other people with other gifts sharing the planet.

If a Google post goes wrong on you, you should have been using A wordprocessor, Opera or Firefox. You can recover it with those and save it for a time that Google gets back online. They are a target for crackers so expect the occasional outage.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

That's what you're using! Just quote enough material to give context to your reply, but not (necessarily) everything, by convention reply after what you've quoted so people don't have to "read the reply before the question", and... erm... that's about it, really!

Google displays the text of several posts in a thread in one screen, which isn't the case for newsreaders that I know, which is probably where the problem comes. IMO it's Google trying to grab Usenet for itself ($), using a technique also used by a major software vendor, "locking in".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from "sky" contains these words:

Well, you're here using it, aren't you?

Reply to
Guy King

Weatherlawyer.....Chris B

Thank You for understanding my frustration.

reply is addressed. Top posting confuses anyone trying to research a subject or even follow one a little late in the day.

I did reply at ericp's 1st post, but it ended up....at the end

fellow readers some idea what you are talking about THe name and date of the previous post for example and the lines that have got your attention. Anything not germaine aught to be removed, unless the previous posters'

replies are also part of your comment. If you are starting a topic, don't expect the readers to know what you are talking about if the subject is off topic. If it's OT say so in the

title.

Still learning

short and descriptive. You might want to find it later. If it's about tiling say so if it's about roofing make some sort of reference for future recall.

Understood.....I already do that

occasionally if they get up your nose, then pointedly ignore them. Once

they realise you are upset they will try and tailor their comments to annoy you. You can annoy them by not even reading their carefully crafted workmanship.

Understood.....I already do that

are upset without you using them!!!!!!!

I know, I just wanted to see if it was still in vogue or not... I don't know exactly what it was about EricP's post, maybe self-righteousness.

considered off topic. Besides he is a chimpanzee and apes are fair game.

Can't stand monkeys.

try and keep it on topic if you care what other think of you. (Tip: Nobofy here is worth worrying about I assure you.)

I would never think of insulting your grandfather.

threads over 12 posts long as they have been answered by then and are drifting off topic. Seriously long threads are maintained by fools who need caustic saddoeing.

Could you explain saddoeing?

start your own thread and kill it if it makes it past 12 posts

Understood.

They had nice friendly warning signs in gentle red letters, recently indicating their beta was still a beta and about to get better.

Still beta.....not yet.

named as the auther of the thread. I belive the psot no longer gets promoted to the top of the lidt of threads. How this will affect the archive remains to be seen.

I've seen it both ways

relpy under that.

That's what I tried to do three hours ago......ended up last.

you want to do; for example, reply to the poster by e-mail or find out who the poster really is if that is possible. I am not sure what other changes have been made there.

Understood.

need help with spelling. It may also protect your hard worked essay in the event of what used to be called MOOFIES.

I am doing that as I write.

can help it. Don't be offended if someone jumps on you over it. They are so clever they forget there are other people with other gifts sharing the planet. If a Google post goes wrong on you, you should have been using A wordprocessor, Opera or Firefox. You can recover it with those and save

it for a time that Google gets back online. They are a target for crackers so expect the occasional outage.

Understood. Cheers.........Sky

Reply to
sky

On 7 Jun 2006 05:24:33 -0700 someone who may be "Weatherlawyer" wrote this:-

True, but a majority of those who voted did not vote for him either. My memory is far from perfect, but a figure of 30% of those who voted voted for Mr Liar's political party. Some call that democracy, but I don't.

Reply to
David Hansen

Better still, any way of filtering out replies from idiot know-it-alls who haven't actually any experience of what the OP is asking?

That'll be the day!

Reply to
Phil