Google Posters

Anyone found a method of filtering these people out?

I am sick of seeing out-of-thread replies and searching for the main thread.

Just interested in DIY filtering techniques. :)

Reply to
EricP

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:04:10 GMT someone who may be EricP wrote this:-

Depends on your software.

An alternative is to press the next button if they have failed to do things properly. One tends not to miss a lot by doing so.

Reply to
David Hansen

In message , EricP writes

Here I kill all posts with: "Organization:

"in the header, in my browser that's the regexp: /Organization: http:\/\/groups\.google\.com/hAdd a sig too, to let Google(rs) know.

Reply to
bof

Nah, they have got to go.

Reply to
EricP

For some people it's the only way of accessing newsgroups when not at your main PC. Properly used, it works OK.

Phil.

Reply to
Phil

Cheers. That's the sort of thing I was after. :))

Reply to
EricP

I agree with you Phil. Some people may not be able to access a genuine news server and so Google groups is the only method that they have. For some reason, some people get really anal about this. Maybe they should grow up and get angry about something of real importance.

Just because other people have a different way of doing something doesn't mean it's wrong or that they are somehow, a lower form of Internet species.

I often see endless tedious discussions about the heretical method of top posting. Personally, I find top posting makes reading a thread a lot easier. I navigate by clicking on a branch at a time of the expanded thread tree. Bottom posting means I have to keep on scrolling down to the bottom to read the next comment.

Do I complain? No.

Reply to
Rob Horton

| |EricP wrote: |> Anyone found a method of filtering these people out? |>

|> I am sick of seeing out-of-thread replies and searching for the main |> thread. |>

|> Just interested in DIY filtering techniques. :) | |For some people it's the only way of accessing newsgroups when not at |your main PC. Properly used, it works OK.

I use Google Groups on very rare occasions, and have it set to quote properly. Failure to do that is just ignorance :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

If you cant set your newsreader to thread, you could add names as they crop up to your killfile. If you can do that. Lots of people use Google without problem, so a blanket ban would not seem the best choice.

The idea of someone who doesnt know how to get their newsreader to thread and doesnt know how to set a filter rule, yet strongly objects to people that dont know to quote context does seem ironc somehow.

Pretty much any system can be used or misused, the Google newsgroup portal. being no exception. Their sin is in making it so easy to misuse. A more constructive approach might be to add a sigline to your replies telling novices how to reply with context. But telling them to foad is perfectly legal too.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 16:48:11 +0100 someone who may be Rob Horton wrote this:-

Only if people have failed to trim quoted material properly.

Personally I find that if someone has quoted more than a screenful of material then they almost always have nothing useful to say. The "next" button then becomes attractive.

Reply to
David Hansen

Absolutely, it wasn't always the case, but it seems to be fine now IF you know how to use it, and primarily that means not using its default 'reply' as far as I can see (because that doesn't include context).

I usually access usenet at home via Thunderbird newsreader, but if I'm office-based away from home, on a public PC, then I'll often dive in via google groups and post away. When I look at my posts at home later, there's no distinction at all between those I posted via google and through Thunderbird.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I know what you mean. Similar to people who normally post decent stuff and then appear and post something that has just dropped out of their arse. :))

Reply to
EricP

The default has changed now. Has been set to post acording to nettiqette protocol for a few days now.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Eric

Shame that you can't do that in Agent then.

Richard Web pages:

- caravanning,
- personal web site and
I loves the domain name for email.

Reply to
Richard Cole

Rob Horton wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

Or get a good newsreader like Xnews, and click on the skip quoted text button.

Or you can map a hotkey to it if you like.

And filter out google "re:s"

mike

Reply to
mike

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember EricP saying something like:

Google for 'nfilter' and use that. You can filter on various headers, eg google.com, etc.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

TFFT!

Cheers for the decent news WL. :))

Reply to
EricP

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:49:02 +0100 someone who may be Richard Cole wrote this:-

Who is "you"?

According to the help file in my copy of Agent:

How to Create Message Filters

Usenet and email message filters consist of the following components:

* A filter expression. * One of the available kill actions or watch actions. * A priority between 0 (lowest) and 1000 (highest). Filters are evaluated in priority order. If more than one filter matches a message, the highest priority filter's action is performed. * An optional expiration date, expressed in the number of days the filter should be kept. Agent automatically deletes expired filters. This helps you keep the number of filters from getting out of hand. * An enabled/disabled flag. This allows you to temporarily disable a filter without deleting it altogether. You can also use the Group Properties dialogs to temporarily disable all filters for selected groups.

There is much more of it, including wildcards and the like.

Reply to
David Hansen

If that's the case I may well remove the blanket rule and just KF the non-quoters personally.

Reply to
bof

David

The 'you' was the person I was replying to, in this case EricP (the OP), whose headers show 'X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 3.3/32.846'.

There is no usenet filter in Agent that will allow him, me (or you running Agent 1.93) to filter on anything other than Subject or Author

See the ongoing discussions in alt.usenet.offline-reader.fort-agent.