Google holding on to posts?

I ask as in this group I notice many threads start with re: and the start of the threads is missing.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I get various posts missing in the middle of threads from people I would normally see. I would suspect that usenet support and propogation is getting worse from its hay day.

Reply to
Scott M

It works perfectly here, so it must be Google.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Two reasons, one the server (that you use) isn't hanging on to them. Second ly some people mark their post to be deleted after one week/not to be archi ved. I think this only works through Google, because if your server has alr eady downloaded it through a news reader client, then it stays.

Reply to
Road_Hog

Google is generating invalid posts by splitting references lines inside a messageid. Virtually no usenet clients will expect that to happen, so they tend to see the split messageid as two messageids they haven't seen, and show two missing posts. There's only one missing post in this case, and you'll probably find it correctly displayed earlier in the thread.

I have also seen some cases where that post doesn't appear at all. I haven't looked into that case.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have seen this problem today with the thread about 50W maplin amplifiers; the first part of the thread is missing. I don't use G***** any more but maybe the OP of that thread does?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's because somebody has dug up another three year old thread ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's what I was assuming: That the thread is so old that it has broken somehow. See it quite often here (Thunderbird) but have never quite understood it as sometimes a current thread seems to get broken into two. All part of the joy of the interweb.....

Reply to
GMM

and the post replied to is always one which was posted to or answered from google groups crazy interface. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff